Franz Josef - Climbing Glaciers (some of us that is)


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
June 7th 2009
Published: June 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Up early again after the Brewery tour, and a bus ride down to Franz Josef to go see a really big Glacier! Not a long journey today, so only 1 stopover in a sleepy little town for a breakfast break.

We arrived at lunch time and immediately set off on a trip to the might Glacier, which is ridiculously impressive! We'd both signed up for the half day glacier climb, but at the last minute, Royston changed his mind! So, as i climbed the huge glacier, which was tough going, he took the public transport to the top.........public transport if you're Bond that is! Yep, he flew up in a helicopter, had a few cucumber sandwiches and a mug of pimms, and flew back down!. All these Hooray Henry's flying up, i don't know, good bit of graft climbing up, that's what you need!

It was worth it tho, absolutely stunning, can't describe it, maybe the pictures will do better? It was hard work, but fun, some of the climbing was pretty much vertical. But they kitted you out in full gear, boots, crampons and the works.

A huge chunk of the thing fell off right next to us just as we were about to start climbing, which was re-assuring to see!!!!!

As well as climbing it, we got to go into the ice, as little natural ice caves had formed! These were incredible, they were like glass.

We had a really good group too, and great guides, well, you would be happy if you got to do that everyday........

The climb down was tough too, then the long trek back to the bus. Fair to say i was pretty knackered by the time i got back to the hostel, so a relaxing night doing all the fun things like laundry. Early night as we were up really early in the morning, for another day of ridiculous scenery!


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

AAARRRGGGHHH!AAARRRGGGHHH!
AAARRRGGGHHH!

My camera broke on the way up, think it was the cold! This is me giving it an 'Arthur Fonzerelli.' Started to work again after that!


Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb