New Zealand South Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
October 28th 2008
Published: October 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Arriving on a jet plane..... Well excited not even bothered we lost a day of our lives when we crossed the date line so Friday 3rd where do go, where do go? So here goes with our first glimps of New Zealand whoop whoop......

Saturday 4th oct
Arrived safe and well in New Zealand after a rather stressful flight as the airline had over booked and where asking for volunteers to go on fridays flight instead of the thurs. They where offering "5 star accomadation" inc food transport and comp of 530dollars (approx 250pounds) so we went for it (first people that did) as we where in no rush but we had to wait around until 30min before take off incase they had some no shows and could put some of us on the flight. Anyway as we stood round they came over and informed us that the comp had gone down to 270dollars so we where all a little annoyed and stuck together saying we wanted the 530dollars so she said ok and went away. Then 40min before take off she gave us our tickets and sent us on the flight. Basically they had people who they only offered the 270dollars to so they had accepted it and bunged us on the flight oh on the crapest seats the very last ones next to the toilet that hardly recline and you have people doing there aerobic stretchers next to your head the whole way. So I was very dissapointed on top of that they took my cheese and ham sandwichs off me which we had taken advantage of on the plane and filled my bag up (pikey allert) untill we arrived in Auckland and got our connecting flight to Christchurch and all was forgotten as it was just amazing. We booked into a hostel for 5nights (as you get cheaper rates the longer you stay) it cost only 40$ a night and should have been 60$ so worth asking everywhere we go fo deals like that. Feels like ages ago I had a shower so we chilled and found a huge supermarket called "pack and save" and they had British food like cereal, laugthing cow, cheese scones, jelly, bread oh the list goes on so we treated ourselves to a curry paste and spent the evening making that oh and jelly of course yummy.

Sunday 5th oct
Suppose
A new addition to the familyA new addition to the familyA new addition to the family

and we shall call him "Timmy"
to go to a backpackers car market but up to late as it ended at 1pm and Steve forgot to read that bit the silly billy. Got chatting to a couple who told us info on Oz and Tailand places to stay and visit etc. Then we visited a car market out of Lonely planet but only 3 vans in there and none in our price range but at least we know what we arnt to expect (basically nothing that looks good). So we headed to the info centre which had alot of helpfull leaflets so we headed back to the hostel for the rest of the day to plan our route around south island and potential car markets.

Mondayday 6th oct
Good day, Visited a car market and found a few vans more to our budget. We test drove a few and spent a while there just checking them out and seeing how it all worked. Fairly easy to be honest its just a change of ownership and they do everything for you even had good insurance deals which is def worth it as most backpackers don't bother (silly) We decided we liked one van and put an
Christchurch TramsChristchurch TramsChristchurch Trams

It's just like Blackpool!!
offer in it was advertised at 1800$ we bartered and got him to accept 1500$ but if anyone came in and offered more taht day he said he would sell it so fingers crossed they don't. Only down side is all it had was a mattress and excellent storage but nothing else so we have to buy all bedding, cooking equipment and camping etc but we worked it out and it souldent be to much.

Tuesday 7th oct
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay we got our van and named him "Timmy" Like from south park. We also got a 2nd hand 2man tent for 20$ thats never been used bonus! All very easy only took about 1hr to buy and do all the paper work so that was good. Which left the rest of the day free to buy all the things to fill it.

Wednesday 8th oct
Last day in the hostel as wea are in timmy tomorrow so we took advantage of the heating and washing machine and chilled for the day. Off out sight seeing tomorrow.

Thursday 9th oct
I've finally got round to doing Christchurch's sights today. We visited Cathedral Square. There was a market on with
The National Dyslexic Association, ChristchurchThe National Dyslexic Association, ChristchurchThe National Dyslexic Association, Christchurch

I always wondered what DNA stands for!
a gorgeous half-price dress but that little thing called budget stopped me from getting it. A lot of free things to do in Christchurch so we took advantage. We visited the Art Centre, that was pretty cool. Amazing how much stuff they have for children. We went to the Canterbury Museum. A little bit like Yorvik (the viking one in York) but without the train and the big entrance fee! There was a Maouri gallery which was quite interesting but my favourite had to be the clothes section. It dated back to the 1800's and the dresses were gorgeous. So overall we had a fab day. Also viewed a few random sights out of Lonely Planet and checked out the situation with the DOC camps. All seems pretty sratghtforward and best of all, CHEAP! Treated ourselves to an extra quilt today as it's our first night in the van. And bought the gas stove. Excited, and dreading staying in the van. Not sure what to expect. Had a fish overload for tea.

Friday 10th oct
First night in the van went absolutely fine. Glad we had hot showers still at the hostel before we left. Also took advantage of all the facilities and had breakfast. A lot of people must have been leaving on flights today as a lot of food left in the kitchen for us to take advantage of. Got hold of a gas cylinder from K-Mart for 46.99NZ$ Definately cheaper than buying the little cans. Headed to our first destination, Akoroa on Bank's Peninsula. Finally got there with my crap map reading. Decided to take a different route back which took us twice as long. Probably should have paid attention to the warning signs, but Timmy managed it in the end. Got completely lost finding DOC site. Arrived at 9pm at some random site.

Saturday 11th oct
Woke up around 9am very hot in the van. Pleasant nights sleep so we were ready to plan todays route which was heading up North to Kaikoura. We drove from Amberley to Waipara, on to Cheviot where we pulled in for lunch overlooking the countryside and snowy mountains. Then traveled the rest of the way to Kaikoura. It was a fab journey. We're definately falling in love with New Zealand. Kaikoura itself used to be a sleepy town but now, since 1987 it's popular for whale watching trips.
The Millenium Vase, ChristchurchThe Millenium Vase, ChristchurchThe Millenium Vase, Christchurch

I wonder how many flowers you could fit in that?
Only problem with this all DOC sites have been turned private, therefore expensive. The town itself is rather pretty and we decided to stay at one of the campsites on the front where we can hear the waves crashing on the rocks where the odd sealion is sleeping, dolphins in the distance, and best of all - we pretty much have the site to ourselves. We made a fire which kept us warm for the evening and allowed us to stay out and listen to the waves. Going to try and stay somewhere free tomorrow night, maybe a pull-in at the side of the road.

Sunday 12th oct
Woke up with the sounds of the ocean. God it was good laid looking out at the waves while Steve had an extra hour sleep. I couldn't possibly sleep with such a gorgeous view outside. A lovely shower with hot water and spent the day chilling in the sun, but unfortunately only lasted one hour. Did our clothes washing before it walked to a washer itself and then headed to find somewhere to pull in for the night. Managed absolutely fine, still lucky enough to be next to the sea. This is the life............

Monday 13th oct
Supposed to go for a nice walk but weather wouldn't allow because the cloud was so low, so we just cheekily hit the showers back at the last campsite (as we knew the code to unlock the door) and we headed off on the road again to our next destination, Wairau Valley via Blenheim. Again journey fabulous, even though weather not brilliant. Travelled for most of the day and I could tell Steve was enjoying my singing today as he even had requests (he dident even mind when I edited a few when I forgot the words te he) before arriving at our final destination Kawhai Point campsite. Again, another honesty camp right next to a flowing river and our own little picnic table. Weather also stayed dry for the evening. Finished the day off with a nice Ovaltine by the river.

Tuesday 14th oct
Got eaten alive last night by the flies. Don't think I've had this many bites ever in my life. And probably the coldest night so far. Luckily hot sun this morning so decided to be crazy and go for a paddle in the river. Oh My God!! It was sooooo cold! Didn't even manage to get up to the knees. Steve did, but nearly died doing so. Not sure what was the biggest danger, the current or the minus temperature. Washed my hair using the river water - BRAIN FREEZE. It felt like when you try to drink a slush puppie - it was soooo cold! But hey, beauty is pain!(oh and for all the Kiwis reading this I did not get shampoo in the water I used bottles) So of we headed for pastures new, headed inland towards Nelsons Creek its a private camp site not a doc and they just requests a donation for the up keep (so we were not expecting anything grate) we stopped of at Reefton along the way to make a cuppa and have a bite to eat. We popped into a shop to ask where the ATM was and there wasent one and even worse wasent one in our direction for another 150km and we had no money and in need of petrol PANIC! No need the bank was willing to change travelers checks at an amazing rate of 3.0 (bank only gave us 2.6) and they only charged 5cents
I'm a Fire Starter, Twisted Fire StarterI'm a Fire Starter, Twisted Fire StarterI'm a Fire Starter, Twisted Fire Starter

Wooo, Wooooooooo, Wooo, Wooooooooo!
to do it so we changed 3. Steve then keep saying all the money we made wouled allow him 30 cans of beer its amazing what a mathematically genius he becomes when beer is involved. So we arrived in Nelson stocked up on beer and a happy Steve to find a lovely well looked after camp site and to put a smile on my face an "Aeriel slide" havent been on one since I was about 17 so we had a right laugh after I got over how high it looked amazing that you dont have that fear as a child god im old (but Steves older te he) Nelson Creek itself only has a pub a shop and there the same place. We did decide to stay for 2 nights as theres a few nice walks around the area as it used to be an olg gold mining area so that should be nice. We had a lovely fire as the site had lots of wood in the wood shed so we were nice and toastie for the evening just dident want to get in a cold van after sitting in front of that all nigts, but had to
Smoking a stick!Smoking a stick!Smoking a stick!

Why oh why?????
be dont. Fab day

wednesday 15th oct
We headed of early to do one of the 3 walks we had planned for the day before brekie and it was nice to get some fresh air first thing. We did the rest of the walks they where nothing spectacular as its been left to get very over grown and we coudent really see much but we had a nice time walking and getting out of the van for the day. We decided to treat ourselves to a beer in the local pub and it was supprisingly busy for it being in the middle of no where. We got chatting to a few locals and they stop of there most nights on the way home from work and alot play pool as they have charts and get very competative (its rather funny to watch) We managed to charge our camera up to as with us stopping at these DOC sights not many have power unless you have the cables for an actual point so we have to do it where we can but they were fine. We had another fire but weather not so good at all rained most of the time we where out there but it was still fun.

Thursday 16th oct
Left fairly early as weather still dull and wet Unfortunatly that ment that Arthurs pass being a ski resort area may be closed but we risked it anyway and luckly it was open just sooooo cold and windy but we expected it as its 924mts. We drove to Mount somers so we still got to see the sights along the way we just dident stop in fear of frost bite. We decided to stay at a camp site and treated ourselves to hot showers and kitchen use. We spent the evening trying to teach me the rules of chess and I actually WON! (Steve quite clearly let me) I enjoyed it though.

Frisday 17th oct
Treated ones selves to another hot shower before leaving, God its amazing how much you take advantage of these things at home. Were headed for "Lake Tekapo" along the way we pulled over at a place called Geraldine for a suppermarket (very pricey) so we headed out of town to a place called Winchester for a large one and for cheaper petrol as they rip you off at alot of
Check out those snowy mountainsCheck out those snowy mountainsCheck out those snowy mountains

Who am I kidding? It's blody freezing!!
these petrol stations in little towns as they are privately owned therefor charge you the earth. Back on route we arrived in Lake Tekapo and poped into the visitors centre and the woman showed the perfect example of "jobs worth" she even lied and told us there was only one camp site at $14 each but she kind of threw a map in our direction (after we asked for it) and that had about 3 camp sites on there. So we haded to one and it was only $6 per person and still on the lake so fab all round. We also have internet here so we can skype tomorrow its proving difficult to get to skype when we stay at DOC camps as there not near towns most of the time and with the 12hr time difference we have to skype in the morrning around 10pm.

Saturday 18th oct
This is so cool because the ducks and birds are so used to people, as the site is used as a base for fishermen and there families durind Nov to Feb. The ducks came and took bread out of my hand and the birds come right close I felt like Snow white. We went for a nice walk around Lake Tekapo. There where two different walks so we chose to do the Mt John walk as this was over the hill not jut around the lake. We took a little picnic and stoped along the way where we could take in the views of the lake and the hills. Overall the walk was a little windy but nice views and fresh air as I was a little unwell lastnight so it was just what the doctor ordered. Feeling adventurous we headed back to camp and did the walk along the side of Lake Alexandrina but we only managed an hour as we got chatting to some locals before setting of and it started to get dark. We just caught the sunset as we got back to the van so chilled with a well deserved beer and a book.

Sunday 19th oct
Up early to skype Friends but unfortunatly they dident make it. So of to Queenstown cant wait for a hot shower as its been 3 days and I could fry an egg on my head its that greasy. So time to put our hands in our pockets
G'day mate!G'day mate!G'day mate!

This is the life
and pay for a sight with facilites. We arrived to commercial hell! Even the camp sights kicked you off at 10am and only way you couled keep your car there was to pay to do one of the activities, such as a sky dives or bungy jumping etc which cost $140/$500 (I dont think so) We ended up in a camp ground just outside of town for $28 and the facilities where good and there was a tv room that we had to ourselves for the evening so all went well.

Monday 20th oct
Suppose to be off sight seeing but after further investigation we discovered that there wasent anything to do unless you wanted to pay the earth for activities such as before or go out and get drunk. We would love to have done both but our budget dosent stretch any further than supermarket food and drink and free camp sight rope swings. Which may not sound like everyone cup of tea but were loving every minute. Pluss if you wait until your 62 you can do Bungy jumping for free so Steves not got long to wait (te he) So "on the road again....So back up north along the coast. Weathers not brill but the views still where. We stayed over at a DOC sight in Makaroa and it was a very gold evening so we where tucked up in bed with our books by 9pm just to stay warm.

Tuesday 21st oct
Yaaaaaay "the sun has got his hat on hip hip hip horay, the sun has got his hat on and hes coming out to play...... So get those legs out and suncream on. Ok slight over-exaggeration but it is sunny and dont the horrible biting flies know im like a big read spot as I think they have all joined together due to being bitten so many times. Anyway washed my hair the posh way using botteled water and then headed of to see the Fox Glacier. It was pretty cool to see it and you could get close at 80mts away. There where also little signs on the way there telling you that the glacier had been there in the year of "1988" which made you realize how far it had moved. We also managed the Lake Matheson walk where on a clear day theres views of Mt Cook and Mt Tasman Reflected in the water. Unfortunatly the day was not claer but the walk was still worth doing. We just did a road side pull in for tonight to as we think we may treat ourselves to a nice hostel tomorrow OH GOODY.

Wednesday 22nd oct
We headed of to Franz Josef Glacier today, the walk was alot nicer than Fox but you where alot further away at 200mts so im glad we did both Glaciers. We headed into town to find an internet to begin our bloggs as its been imposible to do them anywhere. Just glad we keep diaries so we can still do them. We later headed to find a DOC site as we are going to leave the hostel for tomorrow so we can get there and check in at 1pm and chill in the room all day having hot showers and watching TV. The sight was really nice and had a few mini walks we managed to do and it was right on the lake. Only down side was a real scmbag family 2adults and 3kids in a 2man tent f-ing it hear there and every where, then Steve caught a guy wondering around the van and when steve opened the door the guy wipped his phone out and pretended he was trying to get a signal. So steve turned on his hard man look and his burnly accent must have been the last straw as the guy left pretty quickly my hero!

Thursday 23rd oct
Typical beautiful weather today but were still going to a hostel as we have been looking forward to it for days and if we dont get some washing done I think the clothes may walk out on us. There was a choice of 2 hostels one had a kitchen and one had a tv in the room, so we went for the tv and heating oh yay. When we got settled we discovered they had a microwave and coffe making facilities so we where fine. Chilled all day did our washing and watched rubish on tv but it was all so good.

Friday 24th oct
Had a fab nights sleep and felt refreshed. Managed to find an internet and skyped friends not a grate connection but ok. We are headed for Punakaiki today so we stocked up at the supermarket and Steve had Whitebaite pate and
Lake AlexandrinaLake AlexandrinaLake Alexandrina

One of the campsites we stayed at (FREE)
chips I had a gorgeous fish salad. We where going to go swiming but the baths looked really old so we just headed of instead. Up towards Westport and stayed over at Punakaiki so we can get up early tomorrow and do the Pancake rocks and blow holes as its high tide at around 8am. Rubish weather again and I felt really ill later in the day so fell asleep for most of the journey, did me good though. We came across a warehouse place and bought some solar powered lights $3each (1pound) which we place on the dashboard all day and they light the van up and dont cost us a penny how perfect and good for the enviroment.

Saturday 25th oct
The pancake rocks where really cool and the blow holes where much more powerfull than I was expecting. It was fairly quiet to so it was a good time to go. We got some cool photos and warmed up with a cuppa soup after we had finished as it was pretty fresh. We headed onto Cape Foulwind then finished off at a DOC site that used to be an old train station which was cool.

Sunday 26th oct
Headed into Nelson and went for a swim (main reason was to use the showers) it only cost $7 for the two of us. I dont remember swiming baths being as cold as those ones though so we decided to do a few legnths and we bailed out. We did a few of Nelsons sights including the Cathedral and south street which is the oldest surviving street in NZ. We then got more physical and took a walk up to the NZ centre. Good weather and an overall good day. We stayed at another Doc sight. Its been cool as the sights have acctualy had people on them since we got up towards the north. Makes you feel a little safer not that we have felt unsafe but its always nice to have other people around.

Monday 27th oct
We traveled to Picton were we booked our ferry to Wellington tomorrow at 7pm and we checked into a hostel so we can Skype Steves family tomorrow and they had fab facilities like heated pool (not warm though only lasted 3min in there) dvds and huge screen tv so we watched a movie before dinner then had
Pancake RocksPancake RocksPancake Rocks

I could just eat a pancake.......
a fish supper and watched another movie before bed. There where some really nice people in the hostel to so we had a really good time.

So thats our time on south island and I must say its everything I hoped it would be. We are sad to leave but cant wait to discover north island. Its so true that time flys when your having fun. So hope you enjoyed reading our adventures and look forward to filling you in on our north island so until then keep smiling I know we will......


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

Pancake RocksPancake Rocks
Pancake Rocks

High Tide
BlowholeBlowhole
Blowhole

It's like Steve in the bath!


Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb