Washout at the glaciers


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
March 8th 2008
Published: March 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 163 - Saturday 1 March

After waking up and having breakfast we set off on the 4 hour drive to the glaciers. Theres 2 glaciers the fox glacier and the Franz Josef glacier and there about half an hours drive apart. Unfortunately its raining really heavily today so the scenic drive was spoiled by the low clouds and the rain.

Having never been on a glacier before I was looking forward to going for a walk on one but unfortunately due to the heavy rains the pathways to both of them were closed. The cloud also meant that you couldn't even see the glacier from any of the viewpoints, so I haven't got any photos to show you. Instead i'll attach a few from the internet to show what it should look like. Dissapointed we decided to drive further north so we'll have less driving to do tomorrow. I'm glad i'm off to Patagonia in another month or so and i'll be able to see the glacier there instead.

After spending 10 hours of the day driving we finally found somewhere to stop for the night. Its still raining heavily I can't believe how much has fallen. Once again were spending the night in the car in the middle of nowhere so hopefully theres no psychos in the area.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0188s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1023.7kb