Foxy Ice!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Fox Glacier
February 16th 2008
Published: March 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Fox GlacierFox GlacierFox Glacier

On its way out to sea
Ok I'm chasing my tail here.....going to quickly try to recount the last few weeks in NZ even though I've left there for South America already......so excuse all typos etc......could be messy.

We're well used to the windy roads of NZ by now & trips taking longer than normal but at least the scenery is a good trade-off for the longer journey time. After Queenstown we motored on to Fox Glacier. Took us the whole day nearly to get there but the scenery coming through Haast Pass is beautiful......so so green and tropical looking as we drove more north through the mountains.....didn't do any hiking though cause we were on a bit of a tight schedule.....never enough time to do everything!

Fox Glacier....as the name suggests is a big mound of ice that is advancing and is easily accessible to the average Joe Soap like me. I did a lovely day walk on the glacier with a tour group & a guide who had thighs of steel....not kidding.....they were massive so if you want to bulk up the thighs, ice-climbing is the sport for you. It was cool trodding the ice in the crampons & I never had as much fun breaking things...ice mainly! I obviously have a very destructive nature cause I always have the urge to destroy sand-castles, glass, ice or whatever presents so I had a fun day chipping away at the ice & sticking my rod into every nuc & cranny that I could find. Had a go at the ice-axe too but don't worry it was in a controlled environment & no-one sustained any injuries along the way. The guide chips away at the ice with his axe as you go to clear a path but before long it melts with the summer sun. Anyway it was an enjoyable day.

Fox is a quiet little town so we only stayed 2 nights.....there's a nice walk out to a lake nearby & a beach but the beaches aren't as appealing here cause you usually get eaten alive by sandflies....unless every inch of skin is covered. The sand too is dark grey in the south island from the volcanic earth so not as attractive either...oh we're not the girls who left Australia anymore....!!

From Fox. Onwards we go.........


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Farmer Joe!Farmer Joe!
Farmer Joe!

Oh where are me sheep?
More iceMore ice
More ice

Just in case you don´t there
Ice, ice icyIce, ice icy
Ice, ice icy

It´s sharp so watch your step...chipping away at the ice
Lake near Fox glacierLake near Fox glacier
Lake near Fox glacier

Smile is fake-damn sand-flies were out for blood!
The lake.....The lake.....
The lake.....

..........


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb