New Zealand North and South


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
January 22nd 2012
Published: January 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Now it’s been a very long time since the last entry, we were quite busy searching for the next surf and the next kajak session. I won’t write that much as we realized that less and less people are reading our blog! Anyway, after some days in Raglan we headed towards Rotorua, were the famous geysers of nz are, impressive and very smelly...We found a pretty nice campground with hot water pools and enjoyed there two days of very rainy weather. The next week we spent again in Raglan where I (Sabine) bought a new surfboard, now it starts to make fun again as it is a little bigger than the old one and finally I can catch some waves. As the week in raglan was very rainy, I started doing yoga classes with Monica (thanks for joining!) and didn't think that I would actually love it! After Raglan we did the so called most beautiful one day track in nz and even in the whole world, called Tongariro Crossing, and it was indeed really impressing and beautiful! As we do not that much of sport for the lower body, it was really breathtaking, but the view was great although there were a lot of other people. As we hadn't surfed for two days, the next long stop was at the Taranaki Peninsula, where we stayed more than two weeks in Opunake and spent Christmas with lots of great people (Rainer and Brigitte, Christian and Kerstin and Claudio). Nik and Claudio had some pretty good surfing days, for me there were nice little beach brakes, so perfect for all of us. Since Rainer and Brigitte, Kerstin and Christian left, only Claudio was staying with us for New Years Eve, and even longer, we enjoyed his company really much, it was a great time. Normally we had booked the ferry to the south island for the 15th of January, but Nik got an ear infection, so was unable to go surfing and into the water, so we changed the ferry date and arrived on the 9th the south island, were we did three kajak tours at marlborough sound which were really great! I saw my first Rochen (don't know the English name). Anyway, on our way to Kaikoura we met Claudio, Kerstin and Christian again and are travelling altogether ever since...


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Christmas DinnerChristmas Dinner
Christmas Dinner

Birgit and Rainer, me, Christian, Kerstin and Claudio
Claudio and NikClaudio and Nik
Claudio and Nik

One of the best days in Taranaki
KajakingKajaking
Kajaking

Zoom in and you will find a picture which ist made just seconds after Nik hit me on the head


23rd January 2012

I'm reading!
Hi guys, I'm from Taranaki, living in the UK, so I really enjoyed reading about your Xmas/New Year stay in my home province. Sounds like a great trip! Have a fantastic time in New Zealand and don't leave any valuables in too obvious a place when you park your caravan! Most of us Kiwis are very nice ;-)
24th January 2012
Tongariro Crossing - Mount Doom (Lord of the Rings)

Der Herr der Ringe
Super und danke, wäre gerne auch dort. p.s. "Rochen" sind eigentlich stingrays (wie hat er wirklich ausgesehen?)
1st February 2012

keep the blog going!
hey nik, hey sabine! i´m enjoying reading your blog as well. so just keep the good work going :) nice surfing pic sabine! and nik, you letting your hair grow again? -sweet as! greetings from a very chilly austria

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb