How we wound up spending two nights in jail...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
December 15th 2010
Published: December 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

While searching through a stack of hostel brochures in preparation for our stay in Christchurch, one hostel in particular caught our attention. The Addington Jail House Accommodations boasted of having the most unique atmosphere of any Christchurch hostel and the thought of spending a couple nights in prison under these specific circumstances sounded rather appealing. Upon further inquiry we discovered that the price was comparable to most other hostels in the area so we booked a room. The novelty of the hostel would have been enough to keep us delighted but the beds were even comfortable too! Not bad for prison, ey? Upon our arrival a “life sentence inmate” (the staff that worked there) gave us the grant tour and it really was an old converted jail! There were isolation cells and heavy locks and everything was white and sterile looking. All except for the graffiti left on a few walls from the original (real) inmates.

Its location wasn’t wonderful (but who wants a jail in the middle of their city?) as we got lost pretty much every time we attempted to navigate our way back to the hostel. (This may well have more to do with our appalling sense of direction. As my sister would say, we’ve got the bearings of an intoxicated bumblebee!) After our first day of exploring the city we headed back along the park (we thought it would be a straight-shot) but somehow managed to take the longest possible route. So we chocked it up to a good walk and some extra sightseeing. After a dinner of several quickly expiring nectarines we headed back out to the theater district to watch the only show we could afford. Improv comedy!

The show was called “Scared Scripless” and was similar to “Who’s Line Is It Anyway?” We were in an audience mostly comprised of show veterans and other theater junkies. I felt nostalgically right at home amongst the sea of thespians and their colorful scarves. It’s been a while sense I fully embraced that theater geek side of me but it’s not hard to fall back into it when I’m there in a theater. Fern teased me for being so crazy about it and I only gave her more ammo when I launched into describing what kinds of staging techniques and lighting were being utilized on the set. The show was great fun and hilarious and they played many of the same improv games we played in drama club in high school. I got a few new ideas too if I ever find myself in a “Mr. Schuester” of drama club type position…

By the time the show was over it was late and we were sure we knew the way back to the hostel this time. We still managed to get lost and along the way found a man passed out on the sidewalk. He was dressed in a nice suit and not in front of a dodgy bar so we were a little concerned that something serious might have happened. We were also alone on a poorly lit street so were a bit hesitant in approaching him. Of course our Good Samaritan, Girl Scout instincts kicked in and we thought we might check for breathing and a pulse. We walked closer and loudly asked if he was okay. He startled awake, said he was good, and laid back down again. (Well, you look good buddy! I hear pavement’s really in this season. ) After that we walked a little faster and got back before too long.

Back in our jail cell we’d acquired a few more fellow inmates. A group of Australian guys determined to finally watch The Lord of the Rings trilogy were now also occupying the room. Luckily both of us were blessed with the ability to sleep through machine gun warfare so this wasn’t a problem. The Australians also gave up watching the movie shortly after we returned from taking our showers.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb