Trip of Giants - 90th Birthday


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
July 3rd 2010
Published: July 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After a failed attempt to stay up for one of the soccer quarter-finals, I was pretty tired and slept in. Not as much as Joseph though, who stayed asleep in bed til 10am, unusual for a boy who is normally up at the crack of dawn.

The morning was quiet and brief, before we all got kitted out for lunch at the Hinton Winery. There we dined with Ky's 90 year old grandmother, who coped remarkably well despite suffering from a loss of memory that meant we were all strangers to her from moment to moment.

The boys were restless but managed to stay put until after lunch was eaten. This is the first restaurant I've been to where they serve a kids menu but the kids meals are more than just nuggets and chips. Toby had the kids platter that was awesome (and Shannon the 14 year old wished she'd ordered that while texting on two phones at once). It had a chicken wrap, fruit on skewers, some meat and a little bowl of icecream. Liam fussed over and then dissected chicken wraps, while Joseph bravely tackled the adults' chicken in red wine (which was actually not that nice). I had an omelette with sweet chilli sauce, and Ky the crunchy nice duck salad. After I followed the boys out to the gardens for a jaunt. They found a number of curious old farm implements that we tried to work out what they did. Desert for the boys was just icecream (I had an awesome butterscotch pudding).

We then went around to Aunty Linda and Uncle Phillip's for the birthday cake. I got in their good books by leaving some memorable tyre marks on their lawn. Nana was in top form, scoffing down a large piece of chocolate cake "Yes dear, it was delightful", and two cups of tea "I'm busting for a pee". She also suffered through a challenging round of musical chairs while we all tried to sit around her on the couch for photos.

Imagine that: 90 years old. It'll be 2063 before I'm that old. What will the world be like then?

Fish and chips for tea, and then a game of Cranium with the Bell-Ramsays versus the Bartletts. The better name lost, even though we could spell chocolate backwards.






Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb