Christchurch City, Great Lunch & a chilly afternoon


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
February 4th 2009
Published: February 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Overnight rain cleared to a warm (21) day with sun and patchy cloud. Spent the morning updating the blog, having a leisurely breakfast (Bean Scene on Victoria Square again!) and wandering around the shops in the City.

Found a wonderful veggie cafe / restaraunt for lunch - The Lotus Heart (entrance under the clock tower on Cathedral Square). Do not be deterred by the dodgy brown carpet as you climb the stairs to the first floor - a real haven awaits you as you enter a light, airy, plant filled room with a vast array of snacks, lunches and drinks. The cafe is owned and run by students of Sri Chimnoy (need to find out who this guy is!) - and they believe in using local / organis produce wherever possible. The food is amazing - really tasty and fresh. Shame we only found it on our last day in the city!!

Afternoon - took the bus out to the airport (approx 25 mins from city - $20 return for both of us) to visit the Antarctic Centre - which had been recommended to us. Entry wasn't cheap at $48 each - but we took the plunge. Although there is lots of information / facts / displays - it was disappointing - quite bland and failed to inspire or excite us. There is an opportunity to wear arctic gear and be locked in a room while they turn the temperature down to Arctic conditions - but knowing how much snow you had at home it seemed a bit ironic! There are penguins - but all are injured / damaged and have been rescued - and I have to say are not the most lively of creatures. Very disappointing afternoon - our money and time would have been better spent elsewhere....

Thursday see's us depart Christchurch ... collecting the Campervan ... watch this space!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb