Mount Cook & Tasman Glacier


Advertisement
Published: February 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Pics to follow when we reach civilisation!!

Well - camped in our van alongside the Pukaki Lake looking up towards Mount Cook - amazing sunset and sunrise. Words cannot describe the scenery here - it is absolutely stunning. Water is a vivid turquoise (no exageration!) - with a backdrop of snow-capped mountains. And yet it is so warm - daytime temperatures average 23-28 with sun and occasional cloud. The wind is north-westerly - which in NZ means warm (opposite of UK!).

Met yet more Kea's while having a morning cup of tea at the Hermitage Hotel while awaiting departure of our glacier boat cruise. After a 10 minute coach ride, we walked for approximately 20 minutes to the edge of the Tasman lake - complete with icebergs - quite surreal when standing in sun with a t-shirt on!

The Tasman Glacier is 27km long - the largest in NZ - and quite incredible. On board the boat we had an opportunity to dip fingers in the water for 10 seconds - which was too long! Survival time in the water is estimated at 5 minutes - so no messing about here! Cruised around the 5km lake for around an hour with excellent opportunities for pictures - and even better touching the icebergs.

I highly recommend this trip - it is an absolute bargain at 57 UK pounds per person (we pre-booked) - and is worth every penny. The lake and icebergs change every day - as conditions change and new ice breaks of the glacier. Brilliant!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb