Last New Zealand Post


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
January 19th 2006
Published: January 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

We went from Franz Joseph through Arthurs Pass back to the East Coast of the South Island. The road follows the route of the train - it is supposed to be one of the great train journeys - however when we drove through the pass the weather was terrible. It was raining and foggy - so we didn't see much the first day. We stopped half way through overnight. The next day the weather was somewhat better - so we could see some of the scenery - it was very beautiful.

After Arthurs Pass we went to Westport (actually we stayed in Hamner Springs overnight on the way). In Westport we went on a whitewater rafting trip. The rapids were quite strong - but there were plenty of gaps between them, so it wasn't continuous. The scenery along the river was excellent also. We stopped at a place where we jumped off a cliff into the water - I think it was about 30 feet high.

After Westport we went to Nelson. It rained the first day we were there. The second day we went to a beautiful beach.

After Nelson we went to Golden Bay. We stayed right next the beach - we walked a lot on the beach the first day. The second day it rained most of the day, but in the evening it stopped and we saw a wonderful sunset over the water.

This morning we walked in Abel Tasman National Park (along the waterfront). Very nice scenery again.

We then went to Picton for two days, we walked around the town and the harbor.

We are now back in Christchurch for a few days before leaving for Australia. We came to Christchurch earlier in the trip, so we are going to just rest here and get ready for the next part of the trip.

EVERYWHERE we have been in new Zealand has been very scenic - it is amazing to see.

-Matt


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



23rd January 2006

Hooray, Matt is finally in a picture!!!! Keep posting these gorgeous pictures! Continue to have fun Heather and Matt!

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb