Put Behind Bars in Christchurch


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
September 29th 2008
Published: October 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 548 (27.09.08)

With things everywhere in the van, we thought it wise to have a bit of a sort out before dropping our kit off at a hostel in Christchurch. With only an hour and a half drive it wasn't long until we were in the city and in search out or planned bed. Having read about this hostel, we thought it another different sort of place we had to check out. Called The Jail House, the hostel was once (until 1999) a working prison and has retained most of the feel and features that a place of incarceration comes with. We checked into our cell and dumped our bags before going on a job mission. First stop shopping, then dropping the van back to Jucy before making our way back to 'Jail' to knock off some of our internet to do list.

Day 549 (28.09.08)

Today was a day to explore Christchurch. Walking into town through the park we took a diversion through the Botanic Gardens which was stunning with all of the spring plants blooming and the sun beating down.

Further into town and we stumbled on a Sunday craft market outside the Art Centre and couldn't resist a poke around.

On into Cathedral Square over the pretty Avon River that winds through town and we rested up for a while by the GIANT chess set and watched a couple of locals battle it out.

Continuing our pottering we eventually wound up at the Dux De Lux pub famed for its home brew and set in a wonderful old building. We tried a couple of the beers, and would highly recommend either of them, whilst soaking up the sun in the courtyard with loads of locals enjoying a Sunday sesh.

Back to Jail we had a quiet evening in front of the tele.

Day 550 (29.09.08)

Feeling a bit dicky Mark had a morning on the sofa whilst Chrissie went for another wander in town taking in some of the sights and sounds of the city. Christcurch is a lovely place to walk around with a compact centre, beautiful buildings, punters passing on the river and old trams rattling past. Feeling odd without her other half she soon returned to keep Mark company in jail and we passed the rest of the day watching some films.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0211s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb