Pulling the christmas pig by the wrong pair of ears


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
December 29th 2007
Published: December 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi guys, i'm aware it's been a wee while since i've updated, so i shall try to be twice as interesting as usual to make up for this.
So after i wrote last i spent another week working on the building site in the Tui community, hitched down to christchurch, spent the night there, then got a lift to an organic farm just south of Timaru (where there was no internet) spent a week there (from the 22-29th) and am now in Christchurch until the 2nd or so when i go to a bird reserve on the Bank's peninsula for 2 weeks.
On my time off at Tui i went for a 1 day tramp (hike) around part of the Able Tasman national park with Flo and saw seals! It was very beautiful and a great day. I also went to the Rawhiki caves (possibly the best caves in NZ) with Jonus, but unfortunately i don't have a photo that does them justice. They were completely free but a very very hard climb. I had a great time at Tui, met some great people and learned some great new skills, i was kinda sad to leave.
Tui to Christchurch is about 500km but i managed to get door to door in just 2 hitches! And i even got taken to lake Rotiki which was amazing. Christchurch is a cool city and i met a very nice guy called Max who drove me from Christchuch to my wwoof south of Timaru via lake Takapo (again awesome).
Christmas was kinda hot, i didn't feel at all christmassy because i just couldn't get into the feeling with no family, no decorations and hot weather! Strange experience, although the girls did get me a card and some chocolate, which was very sweet of them.
Spent a lot of time weeding there, which was bad, but the guy who runs it is a legend and i was sorry to go, the time just flew by.
Now i'm in Christchurch, i should be spending the next few nights at an activist social centre, and hopefully i'll meet up with the german couple (Flo and Sophia) i met in Tui.
I'm sure i've missed out loads but i'm at an internet cafe so i'm in a rush

Hope you all had a great time over xmas, love chris


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1728s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb