Christchurch River walkway


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
January 19th 2022
Published: January 19th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Five months after a magnitude 7.1 earthquake, centred near Darfield, Christchurch, an even more damaging quake struck on 22 February 2011. That shallow, 6.3 magnitude quake, just 10 kilometres from the centre of Christchurch, caused the greatest ground acceleration ever recorded in New Zealand.

The earthquake claimed the lives of 185 people of and injured many more.

Following the devastating earthquake as part of the city redevelopment a new waterfront has been created along the Ōtākaro/Avon River to make it easier to access river front businesses and green spaces.

Whariki Mats welcome you to this walkway and along it’s path.

The traditional weaving designs have been adapted using stone pavers.Each whāriki is an arrangement of natural stone pavers of varying shades and colours.

The Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial was designed as two distinct areas either side of the gentle curve of the River.

The memorial development was a joint project between the New Zealand Government, Christchurch City Council and Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu, the administrative body of the South Island iwi, Ngāi Tahu.

Ngāi Tahu has gifted the te reo Māori name for the memorial, Oi Manawa, which means ‘tremor or quivering of
the heart’. It also refers to the shaking of earthquake tremors and is symbolic of the trauma experienced as a result of the earthquakes.

It was interesting to see just how much Māori influence has been incorporated throughout the city.

Victoria Square - Queen Victoria and Captain Cook now have a Maori neighbour inspired to have a more balanced presence.

Te Aika was designed by two Ngāi Tahu artists, is 8 metres, the shiny white sculpture forms a ceremonial entrance to Te Pae convention centre.

As we strolled along the promenade Graham explained how the area had been developed and is still being developed, showing images of the devastation before and after.



https://www.heygo.com/patrick-mcbride


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement












Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb