Back To The Cherries


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Central Otago
February 7th 2008
Published: February 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Southern SunsetSouthern SunsetSouthern Sunset

From our home in Clyde
So after a nice two days off with many kms and petrol, we were back at work switching from peaches and apricots to cherries in full swing. With the new direction, we also got new work mates. It could have started off more smoothly; the first two days with the new crew were rendered useless as the graders were not doing a good enough job for export standards. Therefore, on the day we were supposed to have off, Christina and I got to come back to unpack, re-sort, and re-pack all of the cherries. Although very similar, "resort" and "re-sort" have very different meanings!!! It was a great way to get more intimate with the cherries because the first time they go through there isn't really a chance to say 'Hi' to each of them . . . it was a very character building day. With that behind us, we met new graders (a number of them were asked not to come back), then we started back into the lot of cherries again. The backlog of cherries in the cooler brought on working nine days straight--enough to make anybody go a little loopy.

A little loopy we went and made the best of it. So today we start a new segment, the tunes that get stuck in our heads while we work. The machines used for larger fruit provided a different rhythm than the water sprayers and belts for cherries, and subsequently different tunes. The music that popped into our heads seemed quite random, we started writing down some of the songs. Christina noted everything from random childhood songs, "The Wheels on the Bus" and "Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head", to 90s songs like "One More Astronaut" and "Peaches", newer music like Chemical Brothers and Feist, and even classics like "Downtown" and "Summertime". Songs from youth orchestra and Thailand even came and went; some songs were definitely more favorable than others (i.e. "Hokey Pokey", and "From a Distance" weren't favorites). The music stopped one day when the beloved rookie cherry crew started pushing cherries through the sorter while we were on break... walking in to see cherries spilling onto the floor at her packing station delayed happy tunes from coming back into Christina's head for awhile.

Kirby tunes... they included "Stomp" (Brother Johnson), "Cisco Kid" (War), Naive Melody (This Must Be the Place) by Talking Heads, Look Up by the Couriers, Get Away From You by LCD Soundsystem, Connected by Stereo MCs, Peaches by Presidents of the United States of America, Dry Bones an old folk song, Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better performed by Debbie and Natalie in 1995, and The Joker by Steve Miller Band... to name a few...

Also we wanted to show more pictures of our two homes and areas. The nice part about being somewhere a little longer is that we have established a few routines. In Alex, we have rented movies from the Video Ezy and know that pizza is cheaper on Tuesday and Thursday. In Clyde, we shower and do laundry at the holiday park, and enjoy generous ice cream cones from the corner store. We took Tui on more 4x2 adventures to overlook Alex, its surrounding vineyards and orchards and even the Warehouse. We have also had some "Lord of the Rings" moments as many scenes were shot around Central Otago.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

WarehouseWarehouse
Warehouse

This is the front, we sleep behind Warehouse. Its clever jingle gets stuck in my head all too often... "Warehouse - where everyone gets a bargain"
Video EzyVideo Ezy
Video Ezy

Parking lot with home to internet hotspot
This town is always on time!This town is always on time!
This town is always on time!

The clock in the hills above Alexandra
From the Clock in the HillsFrom the Clock in the Hills
From the Clock in the Hills

View from above the clock, a local vineyard.
Overlooking Alex from the ClockOverlooking Alex from the Clock
Overlooking Alex from the Clock

The large white roof on the right side is Warehouse
Kirby = Golem?Kirby = Golem?
Kirby = Golem?

Regarding the Lord of the Rings, perhaps this is the missing link of Golem's transition from a hobbit to a raw rabbit & fish eating villain. This may just be what Golem looked like on a diet of Peanut Butter 'n' Jelly Bunwiches.


22nd February 2008

Golem at Clyde
Golem with a pb allergy, perhaps? Nice statuesque pose-your creativity never ceases to amaze me! Your kitchen there is even more compact and handy than the traditional u shape classic - how will you ever settle for more? Party on!
24th February 2008

Love the pics, sure helps to put your stories into perspective, and WOW, what a sunset!!

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0648s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb