With A Break We Make A Move


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Central Otago
February 7th 2008
Published: February 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After helping the orchard get caught up on the fruit backlog, our first seven days of work was rewarded with two days off and a 5kg box of 2nd grade cherries; we thoroughly enjoyed both. We took to the road straight from work to explore some of the treasures Central Otago has to offer. First stop was Cromwell where we met Duane and Charlotte at a neighbourhood pub for some supper and to share fruit/work stories. After some laughs, we continued North, stopping in Twizel for the night. The following morning we made it to Mount Cook, New Zealand's highest mountain. The hot sun found Kirby's fair skin and the heat stole our energy, so we took a short hike to a lookout where we read and took in the view in the shade. The scenery was just as amazing on the drive as we returned South. We stopped at Clay Cliffs to see the wonders of huge cliffs that erode with a single touch; a rain storm would have quite an effect!

We continued to Wanaka (population 4000), a summer hotspot for holidayers due to its beautiful scenery, climate and lake front location (think Jasper). Although there were great
Makin' Eyes At EachotherMakin' Eyes At EachotherMakin' Eyes At Eachother

Kirby and Duane play with the shadow of the setting sun
camping spots everywhere, people respected the 'no camping' signs and sardined into the local holiday parks. We ventured further into the hills to find a spot at Motatapu Creek among the sheep fields. After exploring the creek and communing with some sheep, we headed to the Bank of New Zealand; opening an account was a surprisingly positive experience and we left with a no-fee chequing account that has 6% interest!

A great lunch of take-away (served wrapped in newspaper) gave us the energy for Puzzling World, a haven for Escher-lovers. Our favorite was a room built on a slant where water appeared to run up hill (and the OT in me noted that the visual-vestibular incongruencies caused my stomach to turn - yes, I am pushing up my geek glasses now). We didn't quite have the stamina to find all four towers in the extensive 3D maze, in fact, we still believe the 12 year-olds in the last tower cheated. The maze had about 8 staircases and boasted an average of a 4 km walk to complete it. The drive home to Clyde and another week of work was brightened by helping out two hitchhikers, from Uruguay and Spain.
Cromwell Meet and GreetCromwell Meet and GreetCromwell Meet and Greet

Kirby, Christina, Charlotte, and Duane pose for timer picture to bask in the serenity
Then it was back to apricots, peaches and cherries again...



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Mirror shot of Lake PukakiMirror shot of Lake Pukaki
Mirror shot of Lake Pukaki

The mountain range in the background is the Southern Alps (Mt. Sefton)
Lindas PassLindas Pass
Lindas Pass

Rolling hills of green. They look like velvet when the sun shines on them...
Motatapu RiverMotatapu River
Motatapu River

Where we slept with the sheep, just outside Wanaka
Puzzling WorldPuzzling World
Puzzling World

Kirby getting the wind knocked out of him by a leaning tower at Puzzling World outside of Wanaka.
Ever feel like you are being watched?Ever feel like you are being watched?
Ever feel like you are being watched?

The room of faces whose eyes follow your every move, at Puzzling World.
Kirby Looks a Little TipsyKirby Looks a Little Tipsy
Kirby Looks a Little Tipsy

It was amazing, Kirby's posture looked great in the slanted room.


10th February 2008

vestibulitis
My vestibules are auriculating just looking at that photo of Kirby!!!

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 14; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0794s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb