Penguin and more adrenaline


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Central Otago » Wanaka
October 29th 2005
Published: October 29th 2005
Edit Blog Post

After our great day on the glacier, the forecast bad weather arrived so we decided to drive on south towards Wanaka. First stop was a walk to Monro beach where a penguin colony can sometimes be seen. We arrived to a stormy, windswept, empty beach. After admiring the power of the waves crashing on the rocks at the south end of the beach we strolled up to the other end of the beach more for the sake of it rather than in expectation of seeing anything. Much to our surprise we saw one small ?? crested penguin. Great to see, despite the brevity of the encouter as it soon waddled off out of sight. The rain soon started so we drove the 150km to Wanaka taking in a couple of roadside waterfalls en route. The moutain scenery surrounding lake Wanaka was stunning.

On arrival we went for a short run and then after tea headed for the quirky paradiso cinema. This cafe cum room of sofas included a car for authenic viewing of the movie (Wedding Crashers). Great cookies and tasty local beer added to the experience.

The following morning Toni and I headed off for a canyoning trip while Jules and Becca sought alternative entertainment. Our day was eventful. When our guide James had to 'hop' off to hospital half way through after breaking a bone in his ankle we wondered why we were taking up the offer to continue the trip with a second guide. Toni's side ways jump off an 8m high ledge into a pool shortly after resuming did little for my serenity. Fortunately we emerged from the canyon with only a few bumps and bruises and with a great trip to recommend to other like minded idiots (Big Nige run by Deep Canyon). Our thoughts this evening are with James who will hopefully make a speedy recovery and be back guiding before too long. Tomorrow we're off to Queenstown...


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb