oops it's friday


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
February 22nd 2014
Saved: November 12th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Well, this is our 'trip of a lifetime" and this tale starts immediately after landing in Auckland.
We escaped Boston and the predicted continued snow early evening Tuesday 2/11. The first leg of our journey takes us to LA (6 hrs). fortunately, we were able to check our bags straight thru to NZ. A few hours of respite at an airport Super 8 and we were back at the airport for a flight to Honolulu (5 hours). We were scheduled to change planes for the Trip to Auckland with a short interval between. At one point the captain informed us that we were 1/2 late due to headwinds. After some angst we were informed that they were holding the plane until a number of us arrived. They actually held the plane for 1 1/2 hours so people and luggage actually all got on board. The flight to Auckland was a 9+ hour flight, making for a very long day, made even longer by a wait in our seats with seat belts ON while the flight crew fumigated us to kill all present 'creepy crawlies". The flight crew regrouped at the ends of the cabins to confer and then after warning us to let them know if we had any allergies or tendency toward asthma. Cough, Cough! Finally we deplaned, went thru all the usual procedures PLUS all of our belongings had to be X-rayed again. Looking for more creepy crawlies????
At some point, it became clear that we had lost a day, completely. A challenge for Zack or Nils to research and tell us why. Large fines are in place for anyone bringing any of a number of plants, animals, etc. into the country so we very diligently ascertained that traill mix is SAFE! Whew!
Then it was time once again to avoid buses, taxis and cars playing 'bumper cars as we tried to find 'OUR' special shuttle to the RIGHT hotel.
Crash time for 2 seat sore Mature-meanderers.
On to why we came to NZ and what wonders we have beheld. Picking up our MH was a treat and our orientation was very complete. It is well-stocked with all but food, so after a short break in, we shopped and started on our Northern loop out of Auckland. We were warned, wisely so, that we didn't have the time to do the full route, but definitely wanted to see the giant Kauri trees. Some are reputed to be 1200 and 1500 years old. The forest is an amazing tribute to protection of these valued Kaouri trees. We had also been intrigued by the reports of a quaint and colorful village and Fredrick Hunderwasser public toilets. The entire town of Kawakawa is on a tidal inlet, where we spent the night and then utilized and photographed said toilets.
Camping areas are beautiful and in natural areas, and can be free when found in our apps. We have met very few Americans as we have traveled thru England and Europe, but here in NZ, we have meet numerous escapees form the Northern Hemisphere and snow and ice.
Starting toward Wellington, where we are scheduled to Ferry to the South Island on Friday 2/21, we have stayed on the larges lake in NZ, Lake Taupo and then meandered down the coast toward the "Art Deco' town of Napier, right on Hawkes Bay. We had our first experience with how strong the sun is with minimal strolling around town. Also had wonderful Americano coffee and goodies at Six Sisters coffee house.
Our overnight at Clive, south of Napier, was a inlet-side natural reserve where we watched crew practice, some waterskiing and where again we met Americans. We shared camping area apps and then we were off to travel thru the GORGE to Palmerston-North on our way to Wellington on Friday. Tonight we're in a natural reserve park, watching some field day activities involving the local youngsters. It has cooled off considerably for them. It was in the 90s today as we were pulling in to park for the night and let laundry dry. Off to jWellington tomorrow to wait for the 3 hour ferry ride to the south Island on Friday. Stay tuned.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

23rd February 2014

Looks like you are fully enjoying each day
Hi Guy...you two are living the dream...I hope you never wake up...The experiences must be overwhelmingly high...continue the great trip of a lifetime...have fun ...Jay

Tot: 0.226s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb