our latest meandering


Advertisement
Luxembourg's flag
Europe » Luxembourg » Luxembourg City
October 4th 2013
Published: October 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Mannheim was an easy tram ride from our Campground on the Rhine River. This area was a victim of severe flooding during the winter. All of the campground and parks in the area were severely underwater as the picture with Guy measuring the level on the electrical box shows. The campgrounds on these rivers have to prepare for annual flooding and so have much of their equipment elevated as high as possible.
So we took our scooter to the tram station, zipped into the city and found a very busy and fun-filled city on this Saturday. Biergartens, marching bands, stage bands, weddings, dog training programs, etc. Kept us busy and then of course we had to see certain areas of the Old City and the market places. By getting all day passes, we could use any and all available public transportation. Hopping on and off was very helpful especially when we went the wrong way. City maps can be VERY confusing. Grocery stores can be few and far between on our routes, so periodically we have scooter runs to get minimal essentials.
We're off to Saarbrucke this Sunday morning and when we reached the anticipated campground, it was totally uncomfortable and so we did a U-turn and headed for what turned out to be a lovely little town, Blieskestal, with a stellplatz on the Blies river. Very few campers. It was perfect weather for a walk around the town, river, lake, and train station, to decide if we really wanted to return by train to Saarbrucke.
We decided instead to visit the Mosel River for one more good-bye. A lovely campground, also a victim of flooding, but a great place to watch the river traffic. The local Roman ruins are known for a mosaic that we just had to visit. What a surprise! The mosaic is 160 meters square and is totally intact with a marble fountain base centered in what is believed to be the floor of an entry hall. A building was erected to protect it in the 1800s and the surrounding exposed ruins are treasured and landscaped. The mosaic, as you may see in the photos, is complex, colorful, exquisite in detail and breathtaking to view. It was however, another example of local directions, "it's just a short walk around the corner, past the rotary". It was in fact a 45 min. walk out into the lovely vineyards and countryside. The bridge over the Mosel River starts in Nennig, Germany and ends in Remich, Luxembourg, where we explored ancient buildings, tiny escape routes from floodwater as well as a crepe and cappuccino stand.
We have learned that the bumper to bumper traffic every morning from Germany to Luxembourg is a result of the fact that the population of Luxembourg is not sufficient to fill all of the employment opportunities. It is also considerably more expensive to live in Luxembourg than in Germany. So a lot of Germans commute to work in The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg and a lot of Luxembourg citizens buy property and live in Germany and commute. So we bid the Mosel, Auf Weidersen and left for Luxembourg City, well after the commuting hour and discovered diesel fuel to be 20 cents/euros a liter less than in Germany. Another incentive for commuters. Then it was time to find our campground in Alzingen, very near Luxembourg City.
With nearby bus transportation into the City, we avoided the horrendous congestion of driving in the dreaded traffic. Walking was adequate for seeing much of the old city, but a one hour sightseeing bus ride gave us a full view of the old, new and really new areas in Luxembourg City.
We're off to Bruge, Belgium tomorrow and then on to Calais for our ferry across the Channel, soon to leave for home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.278s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0992s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb