City of sails


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
February 24th 2013
Published: February 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Our first visit to New Zealand started in Auckland.

We met up with Gilda and Phil our friends and had a few drinks in the harbour area followed by a super Italian meal at Portofino restaurant.

It was great to see the old colonial buildings especially the Old Custom House and Ferrry Building.

The next day we were off on a wine tasting tour. En route we had a fine walk along the Murawi Beach with the sea and surf crashing in.

We then spent the rest of the afternoon visiting 3 wine producers - Matua Valley, Coopers Creek and West Brook. It was a very enjoyable experience to taste some excellent New Zealand wines. We bought some to enjoy with our meals in the next two days.

The next day we went on a short tour with Gilda. First stop was the Auckland War Memorial Museum Building.

We then visited the Savage Memorial Park named after New Zealand's first Labour Prime Minister. The views from the park over the CBD were superb.

We then drove along Tamaki Drive with wonderful views over to the East.

Finally we ended up at the harbour for lunch, amazed at the size of the huge cruise ships in port.

Our day trip to Waiheke Island the next day was one to remember. There were lovely views from the ferry. The Explorer Bus tour of the island was good value and took us to see some of the main places on the island. After this we had a nice picnic on Onerowa Beach and some ice cream!

Our stay in Auckland ended with a first class meal of lamb with Gilda in the Auckland Sky Tower revolving restaurant with panoramic views of the city.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



24th February 2013

The beautiful city of Auckland
Good to see that you enjoyed visiting the City of Sails, its gorgeous harbour and surrounding islands. M xx
26th February 2013

Kia Ora
Glad to see enjoyed Jaffaland. Have fun further north! Westie is awaiting your call!

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1169s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb