Maori Night


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
March 5th 2011
Published: March 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today was the day for black water rafting, was really looking forward to sitting in a tube and floating down the caves and jumping off a few rocks, but due to the rain we couldn't do this activity, but we all got upgraded for free to do the abseiling through the caves which was cool. We only did 2 abseils on our own and got lowered a few times by the instructors. I've done abseiling before, but only down a wooden wall, so was different to do it down caves and in the dark. We also had to do a bit of climbing and due to my running the last two days and I was finding it tough as my muscles were aching. We also got to see some glow worms which was cool. But due to my poor eyesight, probably didn't as spectacular as it could have been.

In the evening we headed to a small maori village to have a maori experience. We were given a show of the haka and a dance by the girls and some of the guys looked mental, I think they were 15 or under and they would have taken any of us down. We also did a maori greeting which involves touching noses with everyone, so that was a strange experience touching noses with people you don't know and just met. One of the girls that always seems to laugh at me (Charlotte), started gigglnig as soon as you arrived to me. After all this the lads were given a 15 minute lesson of the haka and then had to perform it in front of the girls. I nearly hit all the moves, but the words were just impossible to remember, was fun. Then the girls performed their dance for us. As usual we cracked open the beers and started drinking again!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb