Visiting the Rellies


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
January 19th 2008
Published: January 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We were so rock and roll this morning you would hav thought that we would have been up at the crack of dawn donning our walking shoes and sightseeing to the max - but no the morning was spent watching the washing go round and round and round. We had to do it, I had run our of knickers and Woody had no shorts left so it was crucial!!!! This took us ages as one of the machines was broken and it took forever to dry - once done though it dos give you a sense of relief -which is really sad but if you have been away for any length of time you will know what I mean!
Once smelling fresh as daisys we were back in the car for the trip to Cambridge. Our rellies (NZ word for relatives!) live in Cambridge - so it was about a 2.5 hr drive from Auckland. To be honest we had been promised amazing scenery but we were hard pressed to see any on this particular route and it looked remarkably like good old blighty. I had the pleasure of driving and had Woody next to me wildlife spotting. Having not seen a Kangeroo in Oz he had two things that he was looking out for - a kiwi and a sheep!!! After about 1.5 hours a lot of cows and a very disgruntled husband later we finally saw a sheep and then the heavens opened and there were hundreds of the fluffy white things so at least we can tick that off! After a quick stop in Hamilton - which was deserted we made our way to Cambridge, to see Kathy and Allen (my cousin). After some very good instructions from Allen we found them and spent a really nice afternoon in the sunshine catching up and having a tour of the local sites. We also popped in on Kathy's grandchildren, Ryan and Dallas - 5 yr old twins and Cole 2yrs old. Really cuties with blonde hair and a butter wouldn't melt smiles!!!!!
Dinner was great - home cooked, tasty and a taste of a new vege called silver beet - was a bit like cabbage but nicer!!!!
The evening was spent pouring over maps to get an idea of what we were going to do over the next few days - so thank you for all the tips!
(no piccies today - sorry!)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.266s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb