The Zorbulator is Caput


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
November 30th 2007
Published: December 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Here I am sat in Auckland having spent the last week or so on the North Island, Wellington, Taupo, Rotorua and now Auckland. It's all been a bit of a rush, so here goes:

Got the interislander ferry from Picton to Wellington last Tuesday. Very uneventful. Only had a couple of days in Wellington so went to have a look in the National Museum, which was pretty good, and generally had a mooch around the city. To be honest all these cities are starting to look the same.

Taupo was a little bit different. The centre for all the stupid activities on the North Island, with skydiving, bungy etc. It was here we decided to jump out of a plane at 12,000ft and spend 45 seconds falling about 8,000ft before the chute was opened. I can't really remember anyting about it but it was exhilerating.

Taupo is a small town situated by Lake Taupo, which is actually the caldera from a volcano that erupted about 25,000 years ago. This eruption was about 12 times larger than Krakatoa and blew enough of the volcano away to create a lake over 150km in circumference. At the other edge of the lake is another volcano, much newer that was used as Mt. Doom in the movie.

Rotorua is a city built around some thermal vents and is famous for it's hot springs and thermal mud baths. It is also famous for zorbing, which is where you get inside a large plastic sphere with a small amount of water, then get pushed down a steep hill. You have to try and stay standing for as long as possible. Unfortunately the day we were there, there was a malfunction with the piece of kit that takes the zorbs back up the hill. The guy on the phone to the repairman was heard to say "The Zorbulator; she is caput". They were however able to transport the zorbs up the hill by other means so I did get to feel what it was like to be inside a washing machine.

Then it was time to head to Auckland for the last stop in NZ. Auckland is the largest city in NZ by a long way, about 5 times bigger than both Wellington and Christchurch. It was ok, but by this time money is thin on the ground and we spent quite a while sat in Borders bookshop reading magazines and books. What a way to spend the time.

And that is that. Next stop Fiji for a bit of celebrity lovin'.....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb