New Zealand - North Island (Part 1)


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
April 23rd 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Auckland and planned our road trip from the comforts of Bamber House; a homely hostel where we made some great friends. While there, we visited Kelly Tarlton's Underwater World; we saw stingrays, penguins and all manner of other sea-life. We also got involved with a birthday party for Dan at the hostel, which was fun: vodka jelly, party hats and takeaway pizza!

However, the most exciting thing that happened to us in Auckland was the 'detective-style' search for a long lost friend of Jimmy's (David's dad). He, and another boy Joseph, grew up together in a home in Scotland, as brothers. The two were separated at fifteen, never to see one another again. We discovered that Joseph had been living in Auckland. To cut a long story short, the two are now in touch and we are hoping to meet up with Joseph on our return here. Bringing the two together after about forty-five years was very special. Full of beans, we prepared ourselves for the road-trip ahead.


Road Trip Diary




27th
Picked up camper. We drove to Waitomo with Dan smuggled in the back - voluntarily. Tonight we abseiled into a chasm of 150ft. It was pitch black and we saw an amazing glow-worm display (Thanks Debbie for the recommendation!). Dan joined in, overcoming his very real fears. We all loved it. It doesn't ever get 'comfortable in the groin area', but the experience was unreal. It was cool going up the ladder as fast as you wanted and not falling down (because you're attached). When David got to the top, the instructor asked if he was a fireman! Great fun. Celebrated with a beer in the bar.

28th
Today we went black-water rafting (caving with water, and floating on truck inner tubes). We saw more glow-worms, felt our way down dark passages with our torches off. went without the instructor to part of the cave complex to 'discover' a waterfall. Jumped more waterfalls and went down a slide!
It was awesome! We came out smiling and enjoyed a hot shower. The road to Rotorua was a joy to travel. Beautiful countryside. Insanely picturesque views including perfect cows and intriguing clouds. Lord of the rings!

29th
Blackburn won 4-1 today! (Well for us it's today, anyway)
Rotorua has the highest commercial waterfall drop in New Zealand, and today we white-water rafted over it. It was 7 metres!
Awesome - really exhilarating. we were really safe with the team but got involved and had to obey the instructions.
Today we saw some geysers in the park and David climbed to the top of the climbing web.
Said goodbye to Dan. Nice guy.

30th
It's raining. Went to see the Maori village with a guided tour around the geothermal pools and geysers where the locals cook their food and take a bath. We saw a great show featuring a performance of the Haka and dances using sticks and poys. We then got on the road and drove for hours on a bumpy gravel highway through Te Urewa national park. Camped by the lake in the van. Rained all night, but we were warm. We were truly in the middle of nowhere and all alone.

1st
Woke up to beautiful views and ate our muesli while chatting to a local fisherman and getting eaten alive by sand-flies. More driving. Stopped for coffee and a sausage at Wairoa. Arrived in Napier, the Art Deco town, and stocked up on warm clothes ahead of the South Island. Ploughed onwards, and pulled into a camping ground in Palmerston North. Here, we met a very dodgy character called Greg, who was affiliated with the 'Nomads', allegedly the NZ mafia! When we found out about his time in prison and many more stories to make your toes curl, we decided to 'get the hell out of dodge'. So, we drove on, and parked on a small country lane for the night, peace of mind intact.

2nd
Pressed on, towards Wellington, New Zealand's capital. En route, we stopped for breakfast in a charming village/town called 'Shannon'. Here we met a very nice bric-a-brac shopkeeper. In Wellington, we visited the vast and amazing Te Papa museum, and took in a movie 'Pan's Labryinth' - very good!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



8th May 2007

Wicked camper van BTW !! Ha ha!!
Loving Louise's face on the "whoo" photo - looks like its been superimposed! So glad you found Joseph too. I remember that story - amazing. Sounds like it worked really well. Enjoy the rest of NZ. I did the Waitomo thing but much tamer! I spent longer on the South Island and really loved it I hope you have a lovely time there. Karen xxx
8th May 2007

A new chapter
Just for once I am going to be extremely selfish! What you have achieved on your travels will certainly have enriched you lives. My life has also been enriched from all the wonderful journals and photos you have sent to date. Much more important even, than all the above, is how you managed to find my long lost brother Joseph. What can I say? your just a fabulous couple. carry on enjoying yourselves, I'm sure you don't need any instruction on how to do that, what with caving, rafting,abseiling and partying you've got it just about right. by the way , 'Tell Laura I love her' xxxxx
8th May 2007

Hey guys, Its great to hear that you're enjoying some of the places thats I've been to too now! I did the whole blackwater rafting thing too, it was cool. You must visit wanaka in south island, and ohau was amazing too (more off the beaten track). If Louise can handle some hairy driving you can get some amazing views driving up to the ski resorts (Ohau rd v scary tho - prob not recommended!) Glenorchy really amazing too. But whatever you do in NZ it will be amazing - enjoy! xx
9th May 2007

: )
Hi guys, great to see you two are having such an amazing time. Reading your blogs are a fantastic little bit of escapism from the hum drum of herts! All is well in Lectern Lane, thanks for our postcard : ) Enjoy the rest of your time in NZ! Take care, Love Liz x
11th May 2007

PJs
Louise - are you wearing pajamas in the rafting pics?
12th May 2007

PJs
They gave us fleeces and I scored the sad sheep design! Not a good look for me!
16th May 2007

Holy sh**! thats one hell of a waterfall. Hello from everyone at Dave's old work, You guys have got some awesome photos in this blog...seriously cool stuff. Take care

Tot: 0.325s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 66; dbt: 0.2341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb