Northland - Day 5


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
March 12th 2007
Published: March 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

On the 5th day we left Paihia and drove around Northland New Zealand. We were in the car most of the day, but it alowed us to see the major sights of the Northland. First we headed to Kerikeri, just north of Paihia. It was neat. There were two really old buildings that were once used as a trading post. We were there in the morning and were greeted in the parking lot by about 10 roosters. Cock-a-doodle-do!
Next we headed to the 90 mile beach. As the name denotes the beach is 90 miles long and goes to the tip of the north island. We just made a stop to see it, but you actully can drive on it and go all 90 miles.
Unplanned, we stoped at Opononi Beach. It was beautiful! There were huge hills that were all sand and the water was turquoise.
We also stopped and saw the giant Kauri tree (Tane Mahuta), a native tree that is 2,000 years old. It was not as tall as California's redwoods, but it was very large around. Unfornunately Kauri trees were over forested and as a result there are only a few really old, big trees. From the Kauri forest, we decided to head back to Auckland. It was pouring rain! Not just a downpour - a torential rain storm. Dispite the weather we made it back to Auckland for the night and got a good night sleep.

Advertisement



23rd March 2007

Spo Jealous!
What an amazing trip so far. Can't wait for the next posting.

Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb