Rotorua - Day 6, 7 & 8


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
March 13th 2007
Published: March 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

On our 6th day in New Zealand we took a bus to Rotorura. It was nice to be on a bus and not driving. We just sat back and enjoyed the scenery. Most of New Zealand is farmland and is very beautiful. More cows and sheep than you can imagine. In fact New Zealand has 4 million people, but 18 million cows and 50 million sheep!!
Rotorura is on a big lake and is known for its Maori culture and geothermal activity. The earth's crust is relatively thin in the area. This causes mud to bubble and ground water to steam. There are even some geysers.
When we first got to Rotorura the weather was not great - a lot of wind and rain. We stayed in a great place right on the lake and decided to just relax on our first full day in Rotorura. It was nice to watch TV and do laundry. What luxury!
The next day we went to Te Puia - a Maori cultural center. It was really neat. We learned about Maori cluture and beliefs. There was a Maori concert with singing and dancing - somewhat like traditional Hawaiian singing and hula. We loved it. We got to see two geysers that shot up aprox 35 feet every hour. One of the geysers we saw (Pohutu) is the biggest in New Zealand. It was impressive. Te Puia also had a Kiwi house where we got to see two Kiwi birds. Since they are nocturnal, captive Kiwi's are kept in houses that have specal lighting so they are awake during the day. They are cute in a pathetic way - they can't fly. They are protected due to their vulnerability and on many of the hikes we have gone on there are no dogs alowed because of this.
Our last day in Rotorura we spent some time in town and on the lake front - then south to Taupo.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Steam PoolSteam Pool
Steam Pool

We touched the water and it was HOT!


24th March 2007

Looks like you are having fun!
I am so excited for you. New Zealand sounds incredible- I never went but I after your trip you are selling it well- i will have to visit someday. My favorite thing is when you update this blog- so keep it up please please please... it is fun to live vicariously. :) BIG HUGE HUGS... and missing you.
29th March 2007

chickens
How many chickens are there?

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb