I've seen a Kiwi !!!!!!!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Whangarei
March 30th 2006
Published: April 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Drove onto Whangarei to see kiwis in a bird rescue centre Native Bird Recovery . You can see them in zoos but don't like that idea. This is a non profit making centre, run by a husband and wife team who take in birds from all over NZ, and release 80%!b(MISSING)ack into the wild once they are better. Some can never be released back, which includes their 2 kiwis. Only one was in the centre, Snoopy, who was just gorgeous!! I got to pat him gently, but he was a bit snoozy because he's nocturnal. Poor Snoopy was found in a possum trap and lost his leg, so he can't go back into the wild. I held loads of birds, and chatted to a talking Tui called Woof Woof - who had a very deep voice!!

Also went round an early settler homestead nearby in Whangarei museum the house of a GP and the whole villa was still decorated as it was at the turn of the century complete with clothes/personal effects.

In the afternoon, drove out to Whangarei Heads for a beach/coastal walk. Scrammbled up emormous sandunes to get to the top and then walked along the coast edge for a couple of hours, talking in the lovely views. It was very peaceful - didn't pass another soul all afternoon.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb