Low Tide on the Pond!!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Whangarei
February 24th 2010
Published: February 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Look how dry the hills are - Look how dry the hills are - Look how dry the hills are -

when is the rain coming ?
We took advantage of the long dry spell to have the pond cleaned and all the weed removed.
A contractor with a digger tidied up all around the edges and took out some six truck loads of soil/mud. This was tipped on the adjacent paddock until it was removed with tractor/front-end loader and wheel-barrow.
It took eighty barrow loads to move it and this was all taken to the vegetable garden. This should make a big difference to the fertility of the garden as it was mostly clay previously. Although the pond is low (not really tidal!!) it has still about two metres depth in some places. The boat came in very useful to travel across the pond removing all the pond weed. This took several half-days!! (George got too tired to do longer shifts!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Where has all the water gone!!Where has all the water gone!!
Where has all the water gone!!

After many weeks without significant rain the pond has dropped about a metre!!
The boat ...The boat ...
The boat ...

came in very useful in cleaning out the weed. (but what a job - very uncomfortable lifting out the wet weed and sharing the boat with it!!!!
Looks calm nowLooks calm now
Looks calm now

but gets quite a chop when the wind blows. Hooray for the sea-sick tablets!
This is where the truck ... This is where the truck ...
This is where the truck ...

tipped the sludge from the pond. When it dried out we took it to the garden by tractor part-way . Then by wheel-barrow - what a job !!


25th February 2010

Wow!
That sounds like hard work :P bet it looks great now you need some rain to refill it! Grandads veges will be very happy with the new soil :)
25th February 2010

What's that ... ?
Rain, Amy ? What's that ? WE missed out again today!!
16th April 2010

What hard work
Well done though, I am sure the veges are growing like mad now.

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1016.3kb