Thrivent Builds Team Whangarei New Zealand Blog #3


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Whangarei
October 22nd 2008
Published: October 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We’ve been very busy working and playing, but, at last, we have photos! We’ve only had three days of building, but you’ll notice we’ve made great progress on Steve’s house - from a simple platform to four walls and a roof. Steve, the new home owner, is a very kind, hard-working gentleman. It is a joy to work together with him and the on-site crew. The on-site crew has an excellent sense of humor, and we’re learning some new terms. For example, if you’re in need of a break, they may suggest a ‘snore-off.’

Erica’s face has turned a nice shade of red (radiance from the NZ sun) while Paul’s shins and knees display a variety of red blotches (yes, he is that coordinated and is no longer allowed to wear shorts). It’s been a group effort to keep Jeff in line, but so far, so good (he’s been known to stop the van so he can take pictures of flowers and the south-end of north-going horses). The breakfast club - Joan, Bill, Sue, David, Roger, Beth to date - deliver a nutritious start to everyone’s day…Rachel and Kris arriving just in time to scrape the pans. Debi has been seen doing cartwheels on the ocean beach (for a price, the group is willing to post a picture or two on the blog). Becky is a wee, little lassie, but can easily wield a shovel three times her size - honest! Kari shall remain nameless as she has received too many blog posts. Kathy, Kathy, Kathy. Yes, our dear Kathy. She is now down to wearing three patches a day to manage her motion sickness, as the hills and winding roads never end. And all Terry wants for Christmas is a digital watch, flip-flops, and a case of Sprite.



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



22nd October 2008

How exciting to see all of your hard work become a home! You should all feel quite proud of yourselves. I know all of us back here couldn't be more proud. Keep up the great work. The pictures are wonderful, thanks so much for sharing.
22nd October 2008

I'm impressed
What a great thing you guys are doing. Pictures are great. I look forward to following your progress and if you have a 4 wheeler, keep paul away from it otherwise you won't get anymore work out of him. lol Jim Ringen (Pauls cousin)
22nd October 2008

Progress!!
Loved the pictures, especially the one of my mom working an electric saw!! You've only been there a few days and you've made great progress!! Can't wait to see the final product :) Hope you all enjoyed your afternoon off yesturday! Looks like you deserved it!
22nd October 2008

Thank you for the pictures! You all are doing wonderful, blessed work! But, I'm particularly grateful to see a picture of my Kari. Yeah for you...building a house and stuff :)
22nd October 2008

GREAT PICTURES
Just checked out the pictures and they are great! Looks like a '"Wheaties" team to me and the progress is unbelievable! Keep up the good work! God Bless You all! Miss you Jeff.... Love, Laurie
22nd October 2008

Hey From the Land of Cheddar
Hey Kathy, Sue and Paul and all the rest of you! Looks like you are having a fabulous time and doing great work. Really enjoying your blog and especially the photos. Have a great time and keep up the good work!
22nd October 2008

Hello to Dave
Wow!!! It's so exciting to see some pictures. You have made some wonderful progress. Dave, that tree you are standing next to is HUGE!!! Also, it doesn't surprise me that you are on Breakfast Duty. :-) I guess some things stay the same even when you're half a world away. Everything is fine at home, but we all miss you. You can check your e-mail if you want an update. Stay safe and keep up the fabulous work!
22nd October 2008

Nice photos Paul. boy, you guys are really making progress.. Looks like the bldg is ready for the outside finishing touches. Better take care of that rash - it could turn outa to be the galloping galoops, or something like that.
22nd October 2008

Hi to Kathy
Wouldn't you know it - you go half way around the world and you're still working with some guy named Steve. Hope you and the rest of the team enjoy the experience and meeting many new people. Thanks for the photos on the blog - nice to see the progress you're making each day.
23rd October 2008

Great job by all!
I had a chance to view the photos this a.m. of the work and it looks like the team is doing a great job! Keep up the good work and continue the pictures so we may view the progress. Have fun and we look forward to seeing you soon. Paul
24th October 2008

How amazing!!
It is truly amazing the work that can be done by a small group of people, for such a wonderful cause. I am so proud of you all! Kari, take lots of pictures...I want to see them when you get home!
24th October 2008

Way to go Mom (Kathy)
Hey mom way to on the patches!! Down to 3...how many did you start with? Looks like you're having a blast up on that roof though. Glad you guys are having fun!! Love you.
24th October 2008

Excellent work.
Wow! The house is coming along very nicely. Was that Rachel I saw on top of the wall? Keep up the great work. I can't wait to see pictures when the roofing starts.
24th October 2008

Hey Kris! What an experience. I am excited to hear all about the trip and see pictures when you get back! Have fun!
26th October 2008

Paul Loken is my Brother!!!
Paul, I know you are working 'cuz I saw the photo. I also saw you enjoying your sight-seeing day! Mixing fun with hard work is th best! I look forward to the pictures! The progress you folks are making is VERY evident from the photos. Keep up the good work! Paul's proud sister, Beth
27th October 2008

Hello Bill and Joan Reichwald
Hi you two! The pictures are great! Looks like a lot of work and fun. Saw your picture William, after a long days work!! Karen and Al!
31st October 2008

Not surprised
Great job everyone!! You should be proud of all that you have accomplised. But why am I not surprised to hear that Rachel makes it JUST in time to scrape the pans!?!

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb