Week 11 - Final entry


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
December 12th 2010
Published: December 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Travel blog - week 11

2/12/10 - Wellington
Long day of driving ahead if us today to get the ferry to the North Island. I started the first leg and drove a couple of hours to kaikoura for lunch, passing along the way, stinking creek, yes I giggled, pointed and cackled. 

Bobby took over for the leg up to Picton and nearly ran out of petrol again! I swear he does it to live on the edge for a while.

More beautiful countryside here with huge rolling green hills. This seems to be the wine country of the South Island as we passed miles of vineyards stretching as far as I could see. 

Passed through Grovetown and felt very funky as we did so, but it didn't last long before we were out of it again. 

Bobby bought the ferry tickets and we had an hour to kill so we walked around Picton and had a deciding match of pool and Bobby won which kept him happy. 

I giggled childishly at an advert on the radio for viagra. I could just imagine the typical "mummy? What does erectile dysfunction mean?" ha ha ha. 

The views on the Ferry were amazing, very similar to Milford Sound. We got some nibbles on the boat and played cards till we arrived in Wellington. 

Found a camp site close by to the ferry terminal and it came with our very own flight path. Very noisy in the night but I soon blocked it out. 

Quote of the day from Emi 'it's not cosy it's hot!' 


3/12/10 - Napier
Morning of laundry then off to Wellington city for the afternoon. Had a walk around the shops and had lunch while a busker sang near us. 

I pampered myself and had my nails painted which I haven't had done in over 6 years. I managed to get lost from leaving Bobby in Starbucks to the mall to get my nails done which was on the same street. 

I was surprised how much of the city we had missed the last time we were here and enjoyed a good walk around with my personal guide so I didn't get lost again. 

Off on our travels which were to take us to Napier next. We hadn't realised how far it was to Napier and when we hit the 300km mark our hearts sank. 

Coming out of Wellington the roads were very windy and slow but the views were incredible and received a 'wow' from both of us. As we had been climbing on the winding roads we came around a corner to see we were high up in the hills with enormous valleys below us stretching for miles and miles.  

Took it in turns to drive with me driving the 2nd leg of the journey. Bobby has started to create lists of ten things, like ten places to visit, and he asked me to make a list. I choose ten free feel good things to do which included: say hello to and smile at a stranger, pick up some litter, write a bucket list, walk somewhere new and look around, go to a local museum and learn something new, as well as 5 more. 

Finally arrived in Napier and we had planned to go out for a nice meal in so I quickly got changed and asked the camp site owner where to go and she suggested The Gin Trap. Had a lovely meal beside the quay but we were too late for dessert, typical.

Got back to the campsite and as I was getting my gear ready for bed I managed to shut my elbow in the car door, just waiting on the bruising to come out, what a clutz. 

Quote of the day from Emi 'ROAD TRIP!'


4/12/10 - Lake Taupo
Woke early this morning to the sound of a very loud, very rattly and very long train which I could see was around 20 feet from the back of our car with just a thin hedge separating us. 

Walked around Napier city centre which is full of pretty art deco buildings that were hurriedly built in the 1930's following an earthquake that levelled the city and killed 258 people. The quake actually made the city 40 sq km squared larger as the earthquake pushed land up that was originally under sea level. 

There was a male voice choir singing carols in the street who were busking to raise money to go to a convention in Australia. Odd to listen to Christmas carols on a hot sunny day. 

Took a walk along the stony beach front where the sea looked very inviting but we just stayed to the path. 

Headed out of the city and on our way to Lake Taupo only to discover we had taken the wrong road out of the city. Found a spot to turn around and there was a very tall wood carving of a boy on his fathers shoulders made from a tree trunk and roots. I saw many more of these art works as we continued on our trip.  

Passed through more of New Zealand's awe-inspiring beautiful countryside and found it amazing how much is unspoilt farm land with lush green hills spreading as far as the eye can see. The only difference to the farmlands of England is here that back home it looks like a patchwork quilt. 

Our planned route took us towards the centre of the north island so I could get a closer look at one of The Lord Of The Rings largest natural sets used. We approached Mount DOOM (Mount Ngauruhoe standing 2287m tall) when the hills erupted around us dwarfing us with their magnificence.

The clouds had backed off enough for us to get a good look at the dormant volcano but they soon came rolling over looking very grey as if they were setting the mood and were just missing the lightening striking in to the heart of the mountain. We Walked for an hour to get a closer look at the volcano which was dwarfed by the enormous snow capped volcano next to it, Mount Ruapehu (the most active of the areas volcanoes). We headed back to the car and continued on. 

Arrived in Lake Taupo, the great lake, which lives up to it's name with it's enormous size. It took a while to find our campsite, then dinner and bed. 

Quote of the day from Bobby 'that bull looks like it's on steroids, I think half of them are you know, to bulk them up quick. 


5/12/10 - Rotorua
Up and ready for the day. Walked around Taupo city centre this morning and had a coffee. Walked passed MacDonald's which had an aeroplane outside for the kids to play in (what will they do next?).

A stop in the bookshop and Bobby bought me a book from The Bartimaeus  Trilogy which is about wizards, magic and adventure, which he had recommended and sounded very me, how sweet. 

My turn to drive to our next destination and on the way stopped at The Moon Craters which are thermal vents which steam constantly. We walked around the park which as well as steaming also produced some interesting smells. 

Arrived in Rotorua early and hired kayaks to go on the lake with. The water was crystal clear. The kayak was heavy and took me some effort to wheel it too the lake. I had asked if there were plugs for the holes in the bottom, to which I received a funny look. Got to the lakes edge and Bobby helped push me out onto the water, the holes leaked, I got a wet bum! 

We started our rowing adventure with Bobby paddling towards an island in the middle if the lake but after around 10 minutes we hadn't gotten far and I called out that I was turning round to paddle up the river instead. Bobby decided to come with me. 

Headed to the river where the water was too shallow to paddle through so I got out and dragged my kayak to the river mouth, Bobby decided not to get wet and pushed and struggled over the river bed. 

The river was beautiful and had a very strong current pushing against us the whole time and as I stopped to take a picture it started to push me backwards. As we continued down the river we scared many ducks who flapped wildly and ran along the river in a fit of panic. It us cruel but I couldn't stop laughing at the noise the were making as they fought desperately to evade the evil enemy that approached. A touch of an over reaction considering how slow we were travelling and how cumbersome we looked. 

The journey back out of the river was much easier as we let the current take us down stream just paddling every now and then to turn the corners. Got back and packed up. 

Spent time in the spa pool at our camp site which we booked out for an hour for ourselves. It was a nice way to relax and I would say warm up but it was a hot day anyway. We took it in turns to read out loud from my new book which is something I haven't done in years and we giggled at each others attempts at character voices. 

We managed to pay for our nights stay at the campsite, kayaking for an hour and hired the spa pool all for £14.50, now that is a bargain!

Late dinner of my med bliss which is the third time I have made it here as Bobby keeps requesting it, always a popular choice. 

Quote of the day from Emi 'disappointment is a form of surprise'.


6/12/10 - Tauranga
The camp site owner had told us about a park close by with a natural geyser that erupts every day at the same time so we got up early to go and see it today. We became slightly delayed however as I was getting ready a small bird suddenly flew into our open car door and hit the window. It sat on the ground clearly dazed and avoiding my suggestion to leave it where it was Bobby had to pick it up. 

The bird was dazed for a while but hadn't seemed to have done much damage to itself. With a little time and patience the bird recovered itself and flew off into the nearest tree. 

Having satisfied ourselves that the bird was alright and still having time we headed off to Wai-o-tapu 'Thermal Wonderland'. We arrived with minutes to spare and sat ready for the geyser to erupt. It wasn't as natural an eruption as we had hoped as it was triggered by a man dropping a bag of soap powder into the hole which caused the boiling hot water beneath the surface to launch 20 metres into the air. It was a spectacular show. 

The cost of the ticket allowed us to enter the thermal park which was full of various naturally created attractions. 

The 'Devils Home' was a collapsed crater with yellow sides and looked like a daunting cave that might entice weary travellers to their doom. 

'The Devils Ink Pots' were black pools of bubbling, steaming mud with notices to say the temperature was 100 degrees to warn people from entering (as if the smell wouldn't put them off). 

The 'Champagne Pool' covered 65m in diameter and cast off a lot of steam which covered us in the breeze making it feel ad if we had a free facial. The pool was blue except around the edges where it was a vivid red. 

Arriving at a yellow cave (the Sulphur Cave) I noticed people touching the ground and decided to take off my flip flop and have a feel with my foot, to say the ground was hot would have been a bit of an understatement. I fooled Bobby into doing the same, tee hee. As we walked on I noticed the plants and trees were covered in a rusty orange coloured moss which Bobby decided to touch and informed me it didn't hurt, not very bright hey? The rotten egg smell in the park was at tomes so strong I nearly gagged and for once I couldn't blame His Smellyness. 

The last stop in the park was 'The Devils Bath' (he gets about a bit), a bright luminous green coloured water. 

All of the colours in the thermal park are created by different mineral deposits such as: yellow/sulphur, red-brown/iron oxide, black/sulphur and carbon. 

Finished our time in the park and headed off to some mud pools nearby. The mud was bubbling, gurgling and belching as large pockets were erupting. I spent some time trying to snap some pictures of the thick mud in mid burp. Once I was satisfied we carried on back to Rotoura. 

When we arrived we had a wander around the government gardens which had croquet and bowls lawns, how deliciously British. The museum building was an eye catching tudor-style, beautiful. 

I had been tempted with mud bath at the Polynesian spa here but after checking the prices I decided I was too low on funds for a treat like that. 

Headed north to Tauranga and checked into our next campsite which was by another stunning lake, we really have been lucky with where we stop for the night. 

Had a walk around the town but it was mostly closed being after 5pm by now.  Walked along the harbour and had another coffee while taking in our surroundings. 

Getting back I planned our time in the Bay of Islands and the activities to do which included digging our own spa pool on hot water beach, windsurfing for just £20 and a long walk along a dis-used train line which would take us through caves. 

Bobby taught me a trading card game called Magic the Gathering which was very complicated and involved spells and all sorts. It brought back memories of how good I was at Dungeons and Dragons (not very). I won a game
somehow and then my brain started to hurt. 

I got talking to a couple from the Netherlands who are moving here and who started the immigration paperwork just a year ago and are just travelling to find somewhere to settle. Think they might be putting ideas in my head. 

Quote of the day from Emi 'if you married Santa do you think I'd get lots of presents?' 


7/12/10 - Auckland
Woke up to have Bobby singing 'baby come back' in my ear as we had giggled at my out of tone attempts at this song. He started giggling and playing with his phone and I realised he had been recording us. This theme continued throughout the day, Bobby has found a new toy! 

Walked around Tauranga and I bought a sketch pad to doodle on during my up coming 25 hour plane journey home. Stopped for a coffee and brownie, let me re-phrase that, the beat brownie ever! 

On the road and realised I had been looking at the wrong area for the Bay of Islands when I was looking in the lonely planet. Decided not to go that far north now as we really wanted to do the activities I had picked out which were in the Coromandel region. 

Came to Whitianga to inquire about windsurfing and found the lady in the info centre to be of no help and just seemed to want to get rid of us. Found the number for the company and called them but the guy running the windsurfing was far from useful.

On to hot water beach. Hired a spade and headed to the beach to dig our own spa but it seems a lot of other people had the same idea. There were small areas of hot water which were taken up by a lot if people. Amazing how you see no one for ages then turn up to a tourist site to be swamped with people.

After our failed attempt at the beach and the windsurfing people messing us around we decided to head straight for Auckland and spend an extra night there and relax for my last few days of travelling. 

Cooked dinner which was a spicier than expected curry and watched a movie before bed. 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROSIE! I haven't been able to get to the Internet today to leave a message, hope you liked your presents.


8/12/10 - Auckland
Decided to stay an extra night at our campsite instead of moving on to another (it also meant I could have a lay in). We had brunch and did some washing.

Off to Auckland city centre which we explored not for it's culture, education or even shopping, but to try and relieve Bobby's sudden undying craving for a KFC of all things. No sign of a KFC so he settled for a MacDonald's. 

Off to watch the next Chronicles of Narnia at the cinema which was good but not as good ad the previous one. 

Not done much today but it was good to get to see some of the city centre. Back to the campsite and the milk was off for the tea which Bobby sampled ha ha. Another game of Magic the Gathering and off to bed. 


9/12/10 - Auckland
Off to Auckland museum today. Took a while to find it as there were a lot of one way roads going the wrong way. 

Looked around the Maori exhibits learning about the wars that occurred when the lovely British invaded and took over a lot of land. 

The Maori have a great deal of skill in creating weapons, tools, clothing and equipment which were all ornately decorated. The buildings and boats carved out of wood were very intricately made and breath taking in beauty. 

One exhibit in the museum was of volcanoes which included a demonstration of an Earthquake. We sat in a make shift living room on a comfy sofa watching the news about an immanent volcano eruption and suddenly the floor shook vigorously and the electricity went out. A false window showed the sea outside which was steaming and then a thick plume of smoke shot into the air as the volcano erupted and headed straight for us and darkness encroached. It was all terribly exciting. 

On the top floor was the War section covering the two world wars and Maori wars and Anzac. This section was very sobering. 

Headed off to Newmarket for some well earned lunch as I got caught by a sales person trying to sell me beauty products, I now have one shiny nail for two weeks. 

We headed back to the campsite and looked at each others photos of our three month trip and stealing the best ones from the other person. Both of us have had an amazing time and enjoyed reminiscing about the various activities we have done and the people we have met. There has been a sombre mood at times today. 

It was late and I was hungry so we decided to head out for our last dinner together. I said it was bobby's turn to drive and as he sat in the drivers seat and turned the ignition we realised we had a flat battery. A flat battery on the last day? Give me a break. We decided to wait till morning to call the AA out as they would charge us $65 just for a jump start, Emi hungry. In the end we walked to the local supermarket with 5 minutes till closing and grabbed a pizza and chomped on that when we got back, Emi happy. 

**My last full day on my travels, I have lived my dream and it has been a wonderful, fantastic experience which had helped me to grow and develop and see life in all it's splendour. We only get one shot in this world and it is the responsibility of each and everyone if us to fill it with happiness for ourselves and others.**

My dreams have grown into ambitions of seeing as much of the world as I can which I plan to achieve as soon as possible. 


10/11/10
Woke up with an odd feeling, I know I'm leaving today but it feels like any other day on or travels. 

I jumped in the shower while Bobby called the AA. I came out to find him with a jump start kit. It turns out this belonged to the owner and I returned to the welcome sound of the car engine running, we just saved $65 whoop whoop. 

While the car was still running we decided to head to the beach for my last morning in New Zealand. On our way Bobby finally found his KFC. Arrived at Mission Bay which was just outside of the city centre. The sea was very inviting and we walked over the piles of shells to get to the clear blue water and walked along the very short beach front. 

On the village green opposite the beach was a giant snow globe that was being erected so we didn't get to see it working, looked like very hot work for the guys building it though as the sun was blazing in the sky. 

Had our last coffee together while Bobby discussed some of his business ideas with me for while he works in Australia for 2 years. 

Off to the airport and the mood was a very quiet and low one in our camper van for most of the journey. Bobby waited in the airport for a while with me and then the time came to say farewell. I have to admit this was a much harder goodbye than I could have possibly imagined and we were both choked up. We have been with each other for 24 hours a day for 3 months solid. Two strangers who barely knew each other when we started out on our travels and we had grown very close, walking away was like leaving my arm behind, a horrid gut wrenching feeling. But I am sure our travels together aren't over just yet and we will meet again. 

My flight home consisted of 3 different plane journeys: 3 hours to Sydney, 14 hours to Dubai and 7 hours to London with a lot of messing about in-between (making it a 29 hour endurance trial). Not a lot to say about the flights other than they were long and boring but I had my new book to keep me busy, oh and the guy next to me had really bad breath on the 14 hour journey. 

So now I am home with the sea salt still on my legs from New Zealand. I have had the best time of my life and look forward to my next big adventure. So goodbye travel blog, maybe I'll write again one day. 

Notes to remember from from New Zealand: 
• New Zealand and Australia don't have 1 cents or 2s or 5s yet they will still charge $1.99 for something, I don't get it. 
• Small birds fly into shops such as Starbucks and land on the tables to peck at scraps of cake and whatever might be on offer. To cute to scare off, pigeons would have had a shoe thrown at them! 
• Hired out camper van from Spaceships who name all their cars with a space like name, our home for the last 25 days was Riker. We became Spaceships spotters looking out for the names, some of which included; Black Hole and E.T. 
• All the roads in New Zealand were very clear and easy to travel, they weren't even that congested in the cities. Could travel so much of the UK if our roads were the same. 

Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb