Wellington revisited


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
February 6th 2006
Published: February 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Obligatory tourist shotObligatory tourist shotObligatory tourist shot

Did you ever know how big kiwis actually are? I didn't until I went to a few museums and watched some movies. Hint: this is NOT the actual size.
Just had a great visit with Erin, Pat was especially thrilled to see his girl after saying goodbye in Toronto on Nov 15.

We stayed just outside Wellington in a place called Upper Hutt. We discovered that the city is gone wild with an international rugby competition played here on the long weekend every year. There is a big parade on Friday morning, and the Kiwi fans come out in hilarious wild costumes, often with a group all dressed the same or matching themes or colours.

This is the last weekend before the kids go back to school. It is a long weekend, today being Waitangi Treaty anniversary, just called Waitangi Day. That is the treaty signed between the European British and the Maories regarding the land and governance. Like our Canadian First Nations peoples, there have been many disagreements regarding the interpretation and honest application of the agreements.

The weather has been raining off and on for a week or more. We stayed in a cabin and it was just right. Pat saw a bit of Wellington, not interested in the museums as much as I am, and we had lots of good meals and coffees all
Rugby supportersRugby supportersRugby supporters

Wellingtonians dress up in hilarious costumes for the 7's rugby international contests held each year at this time.
together. New Zealand is big on the Long Blacks, Flat Whites and Cappucinnos in their cafes so we had lots of opportunity for that. We were also at a birthday party for a friend of Erin's and chatted with many locals.

Tomorrow we are on the ferry to South Island. We had to book the return at the same time, so we come back the 23rd. Not much time for such a big big place!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Rugby supportersRugby supporters
Rugby supporters

Enjoying a quiet brewski while seated or standing in complete dignity.
They all had parosoles They all had parosoles
They all had parosoles

Erin took this one. They handle them like pros.
Pat and ErinPat and Erin
Pat and Erin

Went for a stroll along Cuba Street while I was esconced in front of a wide band internet connection trying to upload pictures to -Guess What??- THIS BLOG!!!
Not the least modestNot the least modest
Not the least modest

The games are two sessions of 7 minutes each. In between ref calls the camera pans the crowd of hilariously-dressed spectators. Only in Wellington!!!! Auckland just would not do this!
What type of bird?What type of bird?
What type of bird?

Looking straight on, can you guess what type of bird this is? Pretty skinny head shot, eh?
Scorcher BayScorcher Bay
Scorcher Bay

Pat did go in for a short time, Erin and I contented ourselves with wading and collecting shells.
Oh OKOh OK
Oh OK

I guess I could have one with you both looking in the camera lens.
Traffic signTraffic sign
Traffic sign

By the Chocolate Fish cafe at Scorching Bay. The outdoor tables are literally across the road from the shop which perches at the bottom of another hill.
Looking for a phone boxLooking for a phone box
Looking for a phone box

Actually I wanted a phone book to call the local Unitarians - and came across this. Wouldn't you ASSUME it's got a phone? Nope. Just decoration. NO phone, no book. Interesting, though. Must be ART.
Back on the top of Mt. VictoriaBack on the top of Mt. Victoria
Back on the top of Mt. Victoria

This hilltop view is quite close to Erin's place.
Another peekAnother peek
Another peek

at the view from Mt Vic
Unitarians of WellyUnitarians of Welly
Unitarians of Welly

I was fortunate to be in Welly the same weekend of the monthly service, lead by Yvonne on the right. Matt on the left gave a talk/demo on Buddhist meditation first stage. Jim and Leslie and I made up the rest of the attendees that day. It was great to see everyone again!
Don't mind the mantleDon't mind the mantle
Don't mind the mantle

And I jumped in again with the group.
Here's a clueHere's a clue
Here's a clue

Looking over Erin's shoulder. This one was having a scratch.
Monday morningMonday morning
Monday morning

Before going in to town with Erin on the last day of our visit with her on our way south.
Recognize this wall?Recognize this wall?
Recognize this wall?

According to the paper in the park office, this was a background feature in the movie "Lord of the Rings". There are shooting locations all over NZ and we happened to be staying at this particular park in Upper Hutt outside Welly.
This should give it awayThis should give it away
This should give it away

It's a chicken of course.At the Wellington Zoo.


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb