Tauranga, Whakatane, Opotiki


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Plenty
February 6th 2006
Published: March 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Upper HuttUpper HuttUpper Hutt

Outside Wellington we stopped for a car check here. The young fellow hoisted our car up, said the noise was from a loose heat deflector on the muffler, removed the rear one and welded the front one, all in about 10 minutes from our arrival.Then CHARGED US NOTHING because it wasn't a big job. So send all your friends here for the great service!
Around January 20th we left Whangarei and headed to the east coast south of Auckland. Originally we had planned to go to Rotorura first, then swing over to Tauranga to visit the daughter of my first cousin Judith.

However, it began to rain the night before we left Whangarei, and we drove through an intense downpour during which one city south of Auckland became flooded. We changed our plans from sight-seeing in Rotorura to going straight to stay with Natasha and Steve, who encouraged us to do so. The rain kept up off and on for a couple of days.

Natasha had visited my parents in London, Ontario, about 16 years ago when she was on a scholarship to study in North America. I had never met her because we were living in Alberta at the time, so she showed me pictures of her visit in London at that time. Natasha invited over her brother Damian and his father Errol who gladly came by to meet us. We were practically celebrities!!!!

The greatest treat on my birthday, January 26, was to not be in the snow and winter. We set out for Rotorura, and as the morning progressed
Hamilton Botanical GardensHamilton Botanical GardensHamilton Botanical Gardens

My cousin Natasha accompanied us with her son Joel on a brief trip here. It was very hot and humid, then rainy.
the skies cleared and the sun came out for the afternoon! It was fantastic. We had a picnic on the lawn in front of the museum, where we spent the afternoon. We didnt' have time to see anything else. That night Natasha showed me how she makes Pavlova Roll. Pavlova is the meringue dessert described earlier on this site. This one is made in a flat tray, then cooled and covered with creme, then rolled like a jelly roll. After it sets in the fridge for a while, it can be cut into slices. Nice and easy. And sweet but light.

One day we went to a local beach and dug for pippies in the water with Steve's mother June, who is a load of fun. Pat and Steve later used the pippies for bait after cooking them on the stove, and went fishing in the ocean. They caught a starfish, the anchor, and pippies. When I asked Joel what was his favourite part of going fishing with his Dad and Pat, he said "Peeing off the side of the boat!" So it was a success all round.

We were in Tauranga for a week, some of which
Hamilton GardensHamilton GardensHamilton Gardens

Pat and Joel sport our solution to rain and intense sunshine all in the same day. In the scenic Indian gardens section.
time was spent just resting. It's amazing how being on holiday can wear you out. I found myself yearning for a day of lazing about reading and no more looking at sights for a while. We have been keeping up our running, when it can fit into our travel schedule, mostly Mon Wed and Fri still. Unfortunately I fell on our first run in Tauranga, and gashed my hands and right elbow severely. As I write this on March the 2nd, the healing is well under way on the elbow. Heck, the scab just fell off yesterday! It was in the most inconvenient spot - where I kept banging it on the console in the car reaching for maps or just resting my arm. For the first week I had to keep changing bandages so I had to stay out of all the hot pools and spas anyway. Oh well, perhaps we will see Rotorura on the way back to Auckland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Hamilton gardensHamilton gardens
Hamilton gardens

Steve, husband of Natasha, was interested in using this as a backdrop for some of his wedding photography. So he took a sample with a willing subject.
On the drive back to TaurangaOn the drive back to Tauranga
On the drive back to Tauranga

Steve showed us a beautiful park where they go for picnics near where they live.
Chez Natasha and SteveChez Natasha and Steve
Chez Natasha and Steve

Natasha is a chef and whipped up fantastic meals while I sat and watched and Pat got into the wine. Oops I mean drink of water.
My Birthday!My Birthday!
My Birthday!

On January 26 we went to Rotorura, a local centre of Maori culture and geothermic wonders. There are geysers, bubbling mud and hot pools among other things.
One of the hot poolsOne of the hot pools
One of the hot pools

But this one is not for swimming. Strong sulpher smell dominates the city, especially here.
Kiwi HumourKiwi Humour
Kiwi Humour

On the way to Rotorura, this cafe was across the street from the gas station where we spent a few moments.
Road to RotoruraRoad to Rotorura
Road to Rotorura

There are many twists and turns, and most of the traffic goes much faster than us driving on the left with greater caution than the locals. This gave me distraction from hanging on for dear life.
These tall hedgesThese tall hedges
These tall hedges

are seen everywhere, shaved and all. This one would be at least 15 feet tall. They form wind and weather protection for the fruit or other tender plants in the orchard within.
Another example of a hedgeAnother example of a hedge
Another example of a hedge

This one is around a kiwi orchard, part of kiwi360 which we visited outside Tauranga.
AgainAgain
Again

Note the size of the hedge compared to the height of te kiwi trees, which are pruned to about 5 feet.
Kiwi OrchardKiwi Orchard
Kiwi Orchard

And see how well maintained the fields are. Nary a weed in sight. And the hedge! Carefully shaved! This I cannot get used to.
  Colourful point of interest  Colourful point of interest
Colourful point of interest

while on the tour of the kiwi orchard
We are riding around on a trainWe are riding around on a train
We are riding around on a train

of kiwi-shaped carts. I refused to take a picture of us on the grounds that it would be demeaning. And here is a photo op.
A Kiwi that failedA Kiwi that failed
A Kiwi that failed

Here is an example of a species of kiwi that was tried but failed for mass production because it didn't keep well for export.
Mini speciesMini species
Mini species

I thought that these were babies, but they are in the supermarkets, at about twice the price of the regular ones.
I think these are golden kiwiI think these are golden kiwi
I think these are golden kiwi

Who would have guessed that there were so many species of kiwi fruit???
On the tourOn the tour
On the tour

We are invited to get up close and personal with a real working orchard on the tour.
This is for frost protectionThis is for frost protection
This is for frost protection

Not that it happens very often, but in case there is a risk, water is sprayed on the crop, and helicopters hover over the orchards at night to encourage the warm air to rise over the plants, and shoo away the cold air.


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb