Wellington


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
February 21st 2008
Published: February 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wellington Cable CarWellington Cable CarWellington Cable Car

Originally built in 1902. Fun way to get up and down the hill.
Wellington Madness on Thursday!

Today, we checked out of our rooms at the Turangi Leisure Lodge and headed south to Wellington. It took about 5 hours - a bit more than usual due to lots of road maintenance. :-( But a pretty drive - lots of cows and sheep.

We made our way into Wellington with Aunt Susan at the wheel. We knew we wanted to do the cable cars and the botanical gardens and had a general idea of where they were but didn't really have that great of a map to help us. We worked our way up the hill, going in the general direction but didn't see any signs for either place. We didn't get TOO lost, just had to turn around a few times and ask directions once in a while. What Susan really didn't like were the very narrow streets with cars parked on either side and only enough room for one to pass in the middle. Yikes.

We finally found it and gave a big sigh of relief. We rode the old cable car down the hill back to downtown, looked around the downtown streets of Wellington quick and hopped back on
Nana and Pop in WellingtonNana and Pop in WellingtonNana and Pop in Wellington

At the top of the hill overlooking Wellington and the harbour.
the cable car. They were originally built in 1902 and we were riding ones that had been renovated in 1978 or so. Beautiful view from the top - overlooking Wellington and the harbour.

Then we walked around the Wellington Botanical Gardens and it was quite nice. After looking at a map of what was available, we decided on the rose garden. It was quite the hike down hill which meant even more of a hike back uphill!! But the roses and Begonia Garden were just beautiful. I got some good photos. After the hike back up the hill, we had to reward ourselves with an icecream at the top. :-)

Now the fun part, finding our way in the car back down the hill and to our motel. We got directions, which helped, but after a few stressful minutes of trying to read tiny street signs, getting in the wrong lane and trying to remember to stay to the left, we finally found the motel. By this time, Aunt Susan was ready for a beer! :-)

We just got back from dinner and now we're relaxing in the room. Will drive to wine country tomorrow and start
Nana and Aunt SusanNana and Aunt SusanNana and Aunt Susan

In our matching blue shirts...
working our way back up the island.

We've got a bit better wireless deal here - therefore the long note. Hope all is well. Drop us a line if you get a chance.
Love,
Aunt Susan, Nana and Pop


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Rose GardenRose Garden
Rose Garden

Nana and Pop take a break in the rose garden.
Rose Garden 2Rose Garden 2
Rose Garden 2

Aunt Susan takes time to stop and smell the roses.
Begonia gardenBegonia garden
Begonia garden

Wow, there were some beautiful blooms!


21st February 2008

Weather looks great
The blog and pictures are great! Glad you got it figured out. Hopefully Pop can keep it up after Susan leaves! Everything is fine here in Sacramento. Will had his first AAU tournament last weekend. Another this weekend coming up. Keep enjoying yourselves!

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb