Caving and Glowworms


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Waitomo
January 9th 2007
Published: January 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

tire tube fittingtire tube fittingtire tube fitting

our group checking to see if our butts fitted into our tubes
We arrived in Otorohanga after a scenic drive through green hills and rocky landscape. We were however eluded by rock formations and waterfalls that were on the map but somehow Kendra's directions giving never got us to the right spots! We stayed at our first hostel of the trip which turned out to be quite good, we would recommend the Oto-kiwi Lodge if anyone is ever in the area. The Kiwi House was just around the corner from us so we went and saw a couple kiwi's poking around in the dark and walking back and forth. All very interesting! We then saw a bunch of other native birds and lizards.

On the 10th we did our blackwater rafting tour which consisted of walking over slippery rocks in the dark, jumping off waterfalls and floating down subterranean rivers in our inner tubes oohhing and awwing over the glowworms. The caves were full of limestone formations, but let me tell ya the water was freaking cold even in our wet suits, sexy shorts, and white rubber boots! We were all kinds of sexy on this trip!! The glowworms were little bluey-green dots that were all over the roof of the caves.
In The CavesIn The CavesIn The Caves

floating through the Ruakuri Cave,it was waimakarere - maori for "bloody cold water!!"
The aww factor was kinda lost once our guide told us that glowworms are actually maggot shit. The crap glows to attract insects that get caught in there sticky fishing lines that hang down. Again it was a really good trip and was definitely worth doing.

From there it is off to Thames the start of the Coromandel Peninsula.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Glowworms Glowworms
Glowworms

glowworms on the roof of the cave
We survivedWe survived
We survived

Cold, wet, and would do it again!


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 21; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb