Day 74


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Waitomo Caves
December 11th 2010
Published: December 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 74 was filled with yet more adrenalin as we made our way to the Waitomo Caves to see the famous glow-worms a little uncoventionally by black-water rafting!! Getting the gear on was a little tricky as we had not only a wet-suit but wet-shoes and jacket too not to mention some stunning gum boots and a hard hat!! We headed down to the caves where much to our horrow we were told to turn our head lights off to 'experience the cave'!! Fortunately we were allowed to switch them back on as we walked to the glow worms but then it was time to get wet!! With our little rubber rings our first task was to jump down a waterfall backwards with the ring on our bottoms!! Elin made the jump but unfortunately Becky had a slight mishap as her ring went down before she did and so she had to jump unaided! fortunately the eels didn't eat her and Camilla made it down next and we floated down further into the caves! Next we enjoyed a very peaceful little float through the caves attached to one another in a tube-train holding onto each others boots gazing up at the thousands of glow-worms! Then things once again got a little more scary as we had to go down a slide and so having made some ginourmous splashes we made it through and headed back up to the sunlight and the showers where we could peel off the delightful wetsuits!!! Back on the bus we made a supermarket stop before heading into National Park where we had a photo moment infront of the amazing Mountains and beautiful Chateaux as well as another Lord of the Rings set, a little waterful where Smeagle eats a fish! We checked into our hostel and headed to bed to prepare for the infamous Tongariro Trans-Alpine Crossing......

Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0964s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb