Waitomo - Black Water Rafting


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Waitomo Caves
July 25th 2008
Published: July 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Black Water Rafting Adventure!!

Jean has wanted to do this for YEARS....having spent 2.5 hours driving south in bottom of the range rattling red toyota with appalling speakers (not what we would call "surround sound" but we're in NZ so hey) and jean asleep and drooling on herself, we finally made it to Waitomo!• Highlights: BLACK WATER RAFTING!! Amazing experience that included abseiling into a creepy deep abyss, tubing in freezing water, marvelling at little glow in the dark worm poos on the ceiling, flying foxing into deep ravines, battling waterfalls and tight crevices to surface back into the real world....think rambo without the blood...or the muscles. Honorable mention to the rotund honeymooners checked into the room next to us for their minimal noise and disturbance other than a champagne cork "popping" (although paul is confident that that was not all that was popped that evening....)• Accommodation rating: 3.5/5 for the shag pile throw in our "love den" aka the Cave Room. An oversized woolley mammoth puppet also kept us amused during the evening• Food: Amazing curly fries at the aptly named curly's bar. Great home made organic breakfast complete with passionfruit jam and five varieties of honey• Misc: Jean's first exposure to backpacking fraternity had paul greatly amused; paul's mission to transform jean into a pool shark to help pay our way for the remainder of our trip (think the "hustler" minus the skill and patience)



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



28th July 2008

Actionman
omg Paul, that "actionman" shot of you in the water is amazing! That water must have taken real strength to combat - both the cold and the power of it... Jean, I can't believe you've now done it - well done!

Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0943s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb