Glow Worms or Maggots?


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Waitomo Caves
June 5th 2007
Published: June 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After a slightly late start we made our way to Waitomo. Here we did our 45 minute glow worm cave tour, the cheapest of the various options available!

We first saw the art gallery, banquet room and cathedral where several artists have performed including UB40 and Aleisha Keys. The cave structures were very impressive, many stalagmites and stalactites visible.

Then we boarded a boat in complete darkness and in silence, as we sailed through the cave. We saw an enormous labyrinth of glow worms "Arachnocampa luminosa" all hanging from the cave roof. The presence of these glow worms lit up the entire cave and formed numerous sparkling patterns. It was even possible to see their tiny woven webs & the glittering reflected on the surface of the water. We won't tell you the gruesome side of this species...

After we visited the cave museum and learnt all about the Maori founders of the caves and the lifecycle of the glow worm from a very informative documentary.

Later we did a short 40 minute walk of the Ruaruri National Park. Through the forest with lots of ferns, small waterfalls until we reached some more caves where we spotted a few more glow worms hiding in the cave roof. Then to our rather muddy campsite for the night in Waitomo.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Walk ViewsWalk Views
Walk Views

Fast flowing waters...this is Nz.


Tot: 0.214s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 77; dbt: 0.1468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb