A weekend in the snow


Advertisement
Published: July 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

We moved into our new house and everything has been sweet as (bro)...its nice to have a roof over our heads and central heating at last (although double glazing hasn't quite reached NZ yet). Dan has been offered a permanent/rest-of-the-year job at Telecom, providing we stay until Christmas - so change of plan again! Joey (the campervan) has been getting on a bit and struggles with hilly Wellington, so we decided to buy a car for day-to day use. It's a lovely Toyota Corona, called Norman.

The hard grind of day-to-day work had begun to take it's toll on us, so we thought it was time we went on holiday for the weekend, and tested out our new motor on a road trip. Our destination: Mt Ruapehu, for a weekend in the snow.

Being as organised as we are, we left it until the day before to book accommodation...only to find that everywhere in town was fully booked due to it being the opening weekend for the ski season, and a huge mountain Mardi Gras festival. Eventually we managed to get the last room in a cheap hostel, so set off for our mini-break.

The drive there took 4 hours, all in the dark, so we missed out on the mountain scenery. We got our fair share the next day, when we drove up to the top of active volcano, Mt Ruapehu. Julia had a hard day of skiing, only falling over twice (big bruise), and Dan had a hard day of reading the paper, in a cafe with mountain views. Overall a fun day.

That night was the mountain Mardi Gras...after an hour and a half of queueing for it we decided to give up and just go to the pub instead. This turned out to be a pretty good idea, as Dan ended up being paid to go in (due to the bouncers poor mathematical skills).

The weekend has been a good rest, the journey home was awesome, and Norman has passed the test.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

View from the highest liftView from the highest lift
View from the highest lift

Can you spot the frozen lake at the bottom?


3rd July 2009

Wow - looks fab your house and the skiing!!!
Looks fab - hear you spoke to your mum this morning and you are stopping in NZ longer. Lucky you. Would love to come over and see you both - fortunately for you not enough holiday left!!! Keep having fun and in case i forget to say on the day - Happy birthday to you both. xxx

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb