Climbing the 'Mountain' at Maunganui


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Te Puke
October 15th 2008
Published: October 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 560 (9.10.08)

Packing up we drove around the coast to see the tallest local landmark, Mt Maunganui. When we arrived we were a little unsure as to whether we would actually climb it as the heavens opened and the rain was drumming on the car's roof. Ah. But as we were deliberating the merits of wet weather gear for the walk, the rain stopped and although it looked gray in the distance, there seemed to be blue sky headed our way.

Packing a couple of snacks in our pockets we started up the mountain. It only took about an hour from sea level to the top - so we're not sure it can claim true mountain status. The views on the way up were stunning and with the sun fully beating down on us we had managed to pick a perfect time to climb it!

Back down the other side and taking the scenic walk around the base back to the car we had not only had a great walk but had successfully tired out our legs.

Driving around the coast we found a great little spot for lunch by the beach before hitting the highway bound for the Coromandel Peninsula. En route we stopped in a little place called Katikati where there has been a history of local artists painting murals on the towns walls. We took a look at some of the 40 or so that are there.

Continuing up the highway we opted for a route through the Karangahake Gorge. Not only were there stunning views on the drive but we also stopped at the Victoria Battery a local historic site from the gold mining era where they processed ore during the extraction of the metal.

Picking up some petrol and a bottle of the local L&P (Lemon and Paeroa) on our way through its home town of Paeroa we carried on up the coast to stay in Thames.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Mt Maunganui Mt Maunganui
Mt Maunganui

Which way next?...just kidding!


Tot: 0.325s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 40; qc: 159; dbt: 0.2199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb