Rotorua & Te ArohaDay Trips


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Te Aroha
November 13th 2005
Published: November 13th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hello,
I'll try to catch up a little today. We went down country on Thursday last to visit a friend in Rotorua and meet his family. Rotorua is famous for its fishing (rainbow trout all 3-8 lbs) and its thermal activity. It had changed dramatically since we had been here last. It is so much for the tourist dollar that it surprised us. The sulphur smell from the hot pools was just the same.
My favorite place had not changed or become commercial either. There is a beautiful little Anglican/Maori church that was started as the first permanent Christian church in this area in 1835. The present church was built from 1910-1918. It has Maori ( the native people) carvings throughout it and is so beautiful. It is right on the shore of Lake Rotorua and they have an etched picture of Jesus with a Maori chieftain's cloak on and as you sit in the small chapel, it looks like Jesus is walking on the water coming to the church. I have always loved it too. I was able to take a picture outside and hope it will give you a little of the feel of it. It is very moving.
The next day, Kenneth, because he is a policeman, was able to take us up Te Aroha Mountain which is about 1/2 mile from his front door. There is only a maintenance road so he had to borrow a 4-wheel drive to get up to the top. It is about 3000-4000 feet high and has a large satellite, etc antenna at the top.It was absolutely breathtaking at the top and we could see down to a volcanic mountain in the middle of the Island called Mt. Ruapehu to the south. To the west, we could just make-out the form of Mt. Egmont in the clouds. To the east was the a bay coming into Mt. Mangunui and other islands and such. To the north was the Coromandel Penisula where we are going today. We had forgotten how beautiful and green everything can be. We feel alittle like Kermit the Frog- Green is beautiful!
Must go and get ready for our trip up to Thames and the Coronmandel. Our friend, Cliff Robinson,there has two chidren who went to Chrissy's school with her. Now,they are also in their late 30's - so amazing.
Shirley, Jim & the ever adventurous Chrissy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0872s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb