tongariro crossing


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
November 25th 2005
Published: November 27th 2005
Edit Blog Post

just getting startedjust getting startedjust getting started

after our first ascent. devil's staircase.
today, thanksgiving in the states, mk and i hiked the tongariro crossing. supposedly the best one day hike on the north island. we woke early, 5:30am to catch a bus to the trailhead. getting to the trailhead was a feat in and of itself. our bus was supposed to arrive at 5:40am. we are standing outside, the cold morning air biting our cheeks, at 6am....no bus. michelle called the company and reported that they had already come and gone from our hostel, but they'd turn around and be back for us shortly. so, the bus arrived....we're on our way. nope. we find out that a bus ahead of us has broken down and we have to pick up the passengers. so 10minutes down the road about 20 more people pile onto an already crowded bus. we take off again and not 20 seconds later we hear the bus driver yell 'lean!!' apparently we were taking a corner and the bus decided to run off the road. so, we all had to pile out of the bus while the driver pulled it back onto the road. we piled on again and made it to the start only 40 minutes late....and with a good story.

the hike itself was challenging in small doses, but it was different than anything i've ever seen before. we hiked over an active volcano. the terrain was incredibly varied, small gravel, to sand, to mud, to wooded trails at the bottom. the rocks we stepped on were red and white and black and grey. there was steam billowing from the mountain at points because of the thermal activity below. snow covered peaks were all around. we hiked past the most emerald émerald' pools i've ever seen. the views for 3/4 of the hike could only be interrupted by cloud cover, we were completely exposed to the elements. my first long hiking day in new zealand. lacing up my hikers felt good.

be well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



28th November 2005

Hey cait. sounds like you having a sweet time. be well-- amber

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb