Taupo to Rotorua


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
April 13th 2007
Published: April 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

TSWTSWTSW

The steaming lake and walkway
After the disappointment of the Skydive we left Taupo by coach to go to Rotorua. As soon as we got there suddenly there was a awful stench. We all looked at each other thinking someone had let rip only to be saved by the driver who explained Rotorua stinks abit (abit was a massive understatement!! Imagine the Kavos smell - anyone who went - but constantly) because of all the Sulphur that is released in the area. Thank god for that I can now guf at will and get away with it.

We checked into the Hostel, which seems OK. Because Rotorua is built in a Volcano there are lots of thermal areas, so we decided to go look for them. All you do is look out for a mist of smoke and walk towards it and there is usually some sort of hot pool (water or mud). One of them looked, smelt and sounded just like 'The Bog of Eternal Stench' - only Labarinth film lovers will know what this is (I'll put a pic up if I can).

Then on our way back we found a massive thermal pool with a walkway through it. You could
TBESTBESTBES

The Bog of Eternal Stench
hardly see two steps infront coz of all the steam, but it provided some quality pictures. You often could find steaming drain grates and little bubbling areas where the water was boiling.

We then went back to the hostel to eat and sleep, as we had an early rise.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

SGSG
SG

Steaming Gutter
LRLR
LR

Lake Rotorua
HIOSWHIOSW
HIOSW

Helen and I on steamy walkway


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb