homemade pizza


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland » Paihia
November 14th 2005
Published: November 17th 2005
Edit Blog Post

hike without a trailhike without a trailhike without a trail

this is me at the top of a hill on my way to the rock pools....
i've moved on from the beach. well, we have. i met a few people at the hostel in ahipara and we decided to move on to a small 'farm hostel' in the middle of nowhere because the host makes homemade pizza. we surfed twice yesterday. i'm determined to master the short board. on my way here (though not really on my way) i drove to see where the tasman sea and the pacific meet. it was neat to be in the spot, but the view was only special because of the two bodies of water meeting there. i arrive to the hostel early so i could get out for a hike before the others arrived. today i needed to be alone. i hiked to these amazing rock pools by way of spoken directions and a hand drawn map. there was no real trail. i sat on the edge of the 4 rock pools one dropping into the next and wrote in the sunshine. when the sun dropped onto these pools they were turqoise, a common color here, and when the clouds moved across them they became a more mysterious blue. i was all alone and so at peace. the water steadily dropped from pool to pool the sun's heat and the cool breeze kept my temperature just right. i had my hikers on for the first time all trip and they feel so good.

tonight we had pizza. mmmm. so good. mine had pesto, eggplant, rosmary, and tomato sauce without cheese. i bought a bottle of white new zealand reisling to celebrate and make it a proper treat. you know when you're out to eat with a bunch of people and the meal arrives....if it's good everyone goes completely silent. that's what tonight's meal was....silent. we all laughed afterward.

tomorrow i move to whangerai to visit friends.

be well.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb