To The Very Top!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland » Cape Reinga
April 17th 2006
Published: May 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

'Heather' on 90 mile beach'Heather' on 90 mile beach'Heather' on 90 mile beach

Why do they call it 90 mile beach when everything else is in Km? what does 145.16 km just not sound as cool?
The next destination was 90 mile beach and Cape Reinga. 90 mile beach was pretty sweet, the sand is so compacted you could actually drive your car on the beach. We did take Heather out…she didn’t enjoy it too much but we got her out just fine, unlike some cars that where buried. It was neat to be able to look down the beach and all you could see was shore line, 90 miles of beach…heaven.
We then headed even more north to ‘the Cape’. Now ‘the Cape’ is the MOST north point you can get to in NZ, and it is the point where the Tasman Sea and the Pacific Ocean collide. The only way to get there is to drive this crazy windy road where the last 15-20km where dirt…oh yeah more dirt roads, I love our car for getting through it. It was so amazing, the two seas actually made a circular wave pattern! I have never seen anything like it before. We timed it just right to watch the sun set, it would have been perfect, except we ran into some people from USC that kinda ruined it for us, stupid USC kids, never did like them.
'The Cape"'The Cape"'The Cape"

Do you see the circle of waves! Crazy

That night we had noodles and a terrible white sauce at our camp site…way too many bugs for my taste.
But we woke up to ice cold showers and fun times on the sand dunes. They where crazy sand dunes, if you didn’t pay attention you could have thought you where in Death Valley.
We ran into this backpacker that we say when we did the hike in Bay of Islands, it was kinda creepy because he knew exactly what we were doing on the beach and stuff, like he was watching us…crazy French backpackers.

Well I have time I’ll keep going…

From the tip we headed south (the only direction we could go) to the Kauri Forests! Probably on of my favorite destinations. Kauri trees are so amazing (kinda neat we learned about them right before I left in my forestry class…yay for applying knowledge) I totally became like a little kid, you stand beside them and feel like you’re the size of an ant, well to them you are. They are not as great as the Santa Cruz Redwoods but nothing can beat those. We got to see the two largest, father of the forest and god of the forest. Really once again, no words. I hope the pictures help.
Well
Till next time…




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

The DunesThe Dunes
The Dunes

Isent the sand pattern so cool?! Otay I know I'm a dork but come on.


Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0973s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb