Cape Reinga - day trip post!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland » Cape Reinga
November 26th 2009
Published: November 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Hey! Just want to do a quick post about our day trip to the top of New Zealand before I do a blog about the rest of what's been happening with me!

So on Saturday just past we got the bus at 7am to do the tour of pretty much the whole of Northland, our bus was actually a lorry, modified to get people on like a bus. It needed to be a truck cause the route is on a lot of rubbish roads, as well as a beach.

So we headed pretty much straight up to the Cape, only stopping off at a bakery (top bakery in NZ - think that was a pun tbh) for morning tea and in a forest to look at the Kauri trees which are seriously old, they can live for thousands of years and the Queen helped protect them.

Cape Reinga is a really spiritual place for the maori and it's where their spirits leave NZ when they die to head back to their home soil on Hawaiki (not Hawaii). Anyway, it was pretty cool and there was a lighthouse and a sign post and stuff, lots of info on the
View down to the CapeView down to the CapeView down to the Cape

You can just about make out the lighthouse on the left and then tree on the right
way to the tip and that! You can also see the tree which clings to the rocks where the spirts are meant to leave. You can also see where the Tasmin sea mets the Pacific Ocean, aparantley it's better on rough days - it was quite hard to make out. We could see Tasmania though!

It's really good on these bus tours cause they tell you loads of info all the way, especially maori myths and that sort of thing which I find really interesting. We had lunch at a beach just near the Cape as you aren't allowed to eat there. A few people went for a swim, but no way was it hot enough for that yet.

On the way back we went sandboarding, where you basically bodyboard down a sand dune. Wasn't as much fun as I was expecting, pretty tame really. Plus the trek up the near vertical sand dune was brutal so was pretty tired for coming down again!

We then drove along 90 mile beach, not actully 90 miles but just over 60- it's a long story, get on the bus to find out. It is however an actual beach and
Tasmania!Tasmania!Tasmania!

You can't actually see it in this photo cause my camera isn't great but we could see Tasmania!
an official highway. It was pretty odd driving along a long stretch of beach on a big bus/lorry going about 70mph. You can't swim or park though and we saw the remains of peoples cars who had...

We got fish and chips on the way home, i even really liked the fish...! And that was our day pretty much. We didn't get back till just about 7pm so it was a pretty long trip. Glad I've done it anyway!

Laters!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Sand dunesSand dunes
Sand dunes

It looked a lot like the sandy banks in Donegal!
Sand boarding - vertical hill!Sand boarding - vertical hill!
Sand boarding - vertical hill!

You can just about make out someone coming down.


27th November 2009

Spelling!!
FYI: Apparently!!! x
27th November 2009

I type quick okay! I'm not correcting spelling mistakes - that is my excuse and I'm sticking with it!xx

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb