Working at Ruapehu


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Mount Ruapehu
July 29th 2011
Published: August 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Crazy winds. 79 secs
2: Snowcampers 48 secs
Been a great snow season so far. Learning a lot about grooming and having a lot of fun. Havent got to travel to far away yet but that will come soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

GromingGroming
Groming

Riding in the winch cat with Duffy, from Iceland. Sometimes they hafta use another cat as an ancor for the winch so i get to ride with him.
GromingGroming
Groming

Beginning of the season we were pushing lots of snow. Here Dave is pushing snow out of a Gulley and we are using the winch cat to push it up and shape a run.
GromingGroming
Groming

Turns out excavators are excellent at catching snow.
GromingGroming
Groming

Moon rising over Pinnacle ridge. Amazing how well the moon lights up everything.
GromingGroming
Groming

Building traverse of fear into the side of the mountain. 50 degree slope.
GromingGroming
Groming

Phillipe taking a look at the corner we needed to get too.
GromingGroming
Groming

Just an awesome sunset that i get to see most nights as im starting work.
GromingGroming
Groming

Duffy standing in front of his winch with clouds rolling in the valley.
GromingGroming
Groming

Got a call one night to go to Happy Valley here. A woman slipped on the ice above and fell off this cliff. Broke three ribs and her t-12. Fortunate that is all
GromingGroming
Groming

We take all the snow off the runs to build these safety walls so people dont ski off cliffs. Instead they hit the rocks on the run.
GromingGroming
Groming

1 km down the road and still can only see through the maury hand print on the icy window.
GromingGroming
Groming

no visibility because snow and wind so duffy, Kiwi dave and i enjoying some coffee.
GromingGroming
Groming

Had some snow campers get themselves in trouble. several really cold but one girl we had to go rescue. Climbed up this hill to the cave to help the 2 guides bring her down. We picked her up walked about a meter before wiping out on the ice and sliding to the bottom. Winds were pretty crazy you can see it in one of the videos.
SnowSnow
Snow

Roads part of the way to Wellington for convention. Snowed a foot in wellington 1 week before. Best snow in 40 plus years.


30th August 2011

photos
Awesome photos! Miss you. Be careful out there!

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb