Te Apiti Windfarm


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Manawatu
July 11th 2021
Published: July 11th 2021
Edit Blog Post

If you are travelling between Woodville and Palmerston North, you have to drive over the Saddle Road. I love this road as it takes me across the Ruahine Ranges where the Te Apiti Wind Farm is situated.

https://manawatunz.co.nz/te-apiti-wind-farm-lookout/

The gigantic wind turbines have sprung up across the Ruahine and Tararua Ranges. From a distance you will be amazed at how many turbines you can see. But the best part of driving over the Saddle Road is finding yourself right beside them or right underneath them. The sheer size of them up close will take your breath away. I found them slightly scary the first time as they reminded me of a sci-fi tv series I loved many years ago and I kept expecting to see them to get up and move to another spot.

At the top of the Saddle there is a car park where you can view the farm safely and which apparently offers amazing views. I have never been fortunate enough to find it open (it certainly wasn't two days ago and won't be over these school holidays as the Saddle Road is closed for repairs). But there is enough room to park off the road by the entrance so you can take photos and just experience the sight and sound of the turbines turning. Stopping here is a great opportunity for the kids to see the turbines up close and learn about how they generate electricity. Just hold onto them as the road is very busy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb