Decadence & Deco


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Hawkes Bay » Napier
October 15th 2006
Published: November 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Rebuilt after nearly being completely flattened by an earthquake in 1931, Napier is now best known as "The Art Deco City" of NZ. The architecture is unique, making Napier one of the most photogenic towns in NZ. Hawke's Bay on which it sits, is also one of NZs premier wine-growing regions and so for our visit, a decadent liquid lunch was in order. We received some good local knowledge from a guy cleaning his car outside our hostel. We followed his wisdom and headed for the Clearview Estate to sample its award winning vino and cracking cuisine. Bottom line, it was the bomb! Unfortunately they're very small and don't export the stuff so we'll have to return to NZ if we want to sample it again. We did bag a couple of bottles to slurp during our last weeks in NZ.

We happened to visit Napier on a gloriously hot and sunny day - the people of the city were out in force enjoying the "Summer" weather - gnarly in-line skaters were hammering it off the kickers in the skateboard park. We strolled around enjoying the weather making only one brief indoor visit to the hilarious "Possum World" - a place devoted to the little furry pests and their antics. Laura had a go at shooting them, not satisifed with her road kill! (Just a video game style shooting gallery)

Our day trip at an end, a sufficient amount of time having passed for the wine tasting effects to wear off, we set off on the drive to Taupo with sky diving ambitions at the top of our wish list...


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Art Deco Open Air TheatreArt Deco Open Air Theatre
Art Deco Open Air Theatre

Shaped like a giant shell
Pania Of The ReefPania Of The Reef
Pania Of The Reef

Of Maori legend
Possum WorldPossum World
Possum World

Didn't I say this place was funny?
TaumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahuTaumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu
Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

The longest place name in the world. The name means "the hill on which Tamatea the chief of great physical stature and renown, played a lament on his flute to the memory of his brother"


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0157s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb