Gisborne


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Gisborne
February 12th 2009
Published: February 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Gisborne

At last - wine country!!! Gisborne is a nice town with some lovely beaches for surfing nearby. The trouble was, it was so windy all the time we were there that it was a nightmare on any beach as the sand was just being whipped up and covered us constantly. We did a bit of swimming but that was it.

Crazy golf was the next thing on the agenda - I scored TWO holes in one - Rob's face was a picture!!! I surged on to a jubillant victory! 2:1 the overall score so far around NZ (to Rob), but I'm hitting a spot of form now, so that could all change!

Next we headed off to Rere Falls, which were beautiful. We had a picnic lunch there, then I swam in the swimming hole beneath the falls, which was just magical. After that we headed a mile or so up the road to the natural Rere rock slide. Loads of people were there, of all different ages, sliding down the massive slide on either bodyboards or rubber rings. It was higher and faster than I had expected and not a very smooth ride, by the looks of it. Rob had been suffering a little with back pains again but decided he just had to have a go. I had a nasty feeling it would end in disaster. He pushed away from the top on our bodyboard and was fine until halfway down he bumped against a rock at the side which tipped him off the bodyboard. He slithered unceremoniously to the bottom without it. As he stood up at the bottom I could see he had made his back worse. He was annoyed with himself for doing it as he was starting to be in a bit of pain. I took my turn and made it to the bottom after dithering about at the top for ages. It was fun and we would have stayed if Rob's back had been okay.

We went from there to a lovely little vineyard and winery, where we went wine-tasting which was great fun. We chose a bottle of wine which we are going to save and drink on our wedding anniversary on 29th March.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Rere FallsRere Falls
Rere Falls

Me swimming beneath the falls
Rere FallsRere Falls
Rere Falls

Me getting a soaking from the falls
Rere Rock WaterslideRere Rock Waterslide
Rere Rock Waterslide

Rob waiting his turn for the slide........ going......
Rere Rock WaterslideRere Rock Waterslide
Rere Rock Waterslide

Going ..........
Rere Rock WaterslideRere Rock Waterslide
Rere Rock Waterslide

Gone!!! Crashed & burned!!!
Rere Rock WaterslideRere Rock Waterslide
Rere Rock Waterslide

Me going down!
Wainui BeachWainui Beach
Wainui Beach

Rob posing!
Crazy golfCrazy golf
Crazy golf

A hole in one!!!
Crazy golfCrazy golf
Crazy golf

ANOTHER hole in one!!!
Crazy golfCrazy golf
Crazy golf

Rob having to force himself to shake my hand as I won our game


Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0873s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb