Lakes and the west coast


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Dargaville
November 11th 2007
Published: November 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

picnic by the lakepicnic by the lakepicnic by the lake

you can also camp here, under the pine trees.
Well, we're back, and we really enjoyed our week away. the weather wasn't too good, but when you live in Wales, you get used to that. And it didn't detract from the beauty of the place. So, here we go. First we drove west to Dargaville (all got the maps out?), then turned north up the coast. The whole coastline is sand dunes, but they're so enormous you just think its hills or cliffs. There is a group of lakes hidden behind the sand dunes, blue as can be, with silver sand. The only source of water for them is rain, no streams run into them at all. An absolute playground in summer, but no-one there when we were there, and a chilly wind. We tried to walk around one lake, but the path petered out, so we found a walkway - footpath - to the coast and did that, in the circumstances pretty intrepid!! there was a large notice that said "beware bulls and electric fences", but the bulls were only curious bullocks. However Alex had a shocking experience when he stumbled and touched the wire!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

quite a climbquite a climb
quite a climb

the dune is so steep, they provide a ladder. Yes, we counted, there are 126 steps!
the ladderthe ladder
the ladder

a better view perhaps
down to the beachdown to the beach
down to the beach

it was a long walk, and a lot of up and down, and even scrambling - though not much to a kiwi! just getting old!!
made itmade it
made it

our first taste of the Tasman sea, and once again --deserted. Mind you, you can't get a car down, and its a couple of miles to walk!!


13th November 2007

Video
Classic! Well done Mama. Well filmed Tex!

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb