Sick/Happy


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel » Whitianga
November 22nd 2007
Published: November 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sick/Happy by Hell is for heroes off the under appreciated Neon Handshake album. Excellent song. But yes i am sick, i got food poisoning a couple days ago (i wont go into details, but its unpleasant) and i haven't shaken it yet; although i did manage to drag myself into town, so i am getting better. I was also sick about 3 weeks ago, when i ate some left over lasagne and got sick from all the cheese. Ha! I'm stuck being vegan for ever as my body can't process cheese anymore!
Ok, so i spent 2 very pleasant days in Rotorua (the second of which with a very charming Australian librarian cvalled Rosie) and did a bit of the tourist thing (we went on a coach tour!) and then made my way up to the 'Wilderness Trust'. I thought it was gonna be a fairly simple hitch, as it was not a great deal futher than any other i'd done. However, there was no easy route and it ended up taking 11 hitches over about 10 hours. Nightmare. I ended up having to stay in the local town of Whitianga because i arrived too late to get to the trust. Boo.
So i finally arrived on Friday (the same day as the girls) and have really been enjoying my time here. Working in the fields during the day, picking grapefruit and oranges off trees when hungry or thirsty. Then, when sick, using natural remedies picked from trees to get better. It's a community of 15 or so people (when there are lots of wwoofers) but used to be a lot bigger. Everyone works for the community, not for a personal gain. It just feels so natural you know? I remember being here on the first day and thinking 'this is how people should live'. I've never had that thought before and it caught me by suprise. Whitianga is a nice town, where people leave their cars on the side of the road with the windows all the way open and doors unlooked. It's also very beautiful, if a little backward.
So i'm very happy and having a great time, although the girls left early, and went back to the safety of Taupo, as they found it a little too basic.
The weather is fantastic, but possibly a little too hot right now, working in the mid-day sun is no fun.
I've taken up spinning staff to fill the time left by lack of bass 😊

Hope all is good your end, Chris xx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb